Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Manhunt Deliverance: Aftermath Environment Art (Feedback Please!)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Oblivion2500 polycounter lvl 6
This is a remake of an old horror game known as Manhunt (2004) by Rockstar Games. The environment I remade is the attic area from the final chapter (Deliverance) where Piggsy was chained and held captive for a long time before breaking free and going on a rampage thus eventually chasing the main character, you. So I wanted to do a remake of this environment which is one of the more well-known areas in the game which usually consists of bad neighborhoods type of areas, abandoned areas, ghettos, etc. However, rather than just remaking the environment with brand new graphics. I wanted to improve upon it. Make some changes that make more sense or otherwise were not able to be done due to technology constraints back in 2004. Also, I wanted to make it more personal and fanmade. Give it more of a news story rather than repeating an old story. So I thought what about remaking the area but it's the "aftermath" after everything that has happened in Manhunt but months or maybe a year or so has passed by. It's daytime instead of nighttime. You can see that the environment has decayed even more due to being abandoned and marked as a crime scene by police and the FBI. So I thought what if it was also broken into and there's a small group of insane people who worships "Piggsy" or other members. You can see candles by the chimney. Also, you can see that there's also crime scene tape and chalk outlines of where the dead bodies used to be during the events of Manhunt. Maybe there's copycat now or some ritual. Could be a great idea for a new manhunt game based on the first one. 

Anyway, the software used for this project is Photoshop, Quixel Suite (Bridge and Mixer), Blender 2.92, and Unreal Engine 4. All textures have been created in Quixel Mixer and Photoshop. All meshes are modeled by me. I try to make everything myself. 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oAqgJq

I'm looking to have any feedback before marking this as "complete". I will come back to it once I have a new computer with an RTX card and I can upgrade this to ray-tracing or better textures. My current pc is really old and I don't have a job or any money. This will be for my portfolio on ArtStation in hopes to find a job as a freelance artist or environment artist for games. Again, any feedback is welcome. I do, however, have some questions about this.
  1. What do you think of the saturation, contrast, and overall brightness? Trying to go for an empty, lonely, warm, but chilling feeling.
  2. Is the blood too much? I'm asking since this will be on my portfolio. Will this make any employers not hire me just because of this? I can't imagine so since there are so many games with blood and gore including horror games. I'm just asking to make sure. 
  3. Should I also make a nighttime scene as well with the candles being lit? Would that be a good thing to show on my portfolio or is that for more something a lighting artist would do? I realize I'm pretty good at lighting as well which is important for environmental art.