Home Technical Talk

Shading Error on Geometry Help

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Poseidon8734 polycounter lvl 6
Hello all. I have been working on this project for a bit now, and I ran into this error a couple of weeks ago and haven't been able to fix it. It is almost certainly an issue with the shading on the geometry, but I can't for the life of me, figure out how to fix it. I have also attached the obj with the issue. Thanks!

https://imgur.com/6A63VOy
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PvsaNPCuNVCou9M3calMa25h-dUNGUZg/view?usp=sharing

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    I am guessing you didn't triangulate the mesh before you exported to where ever you baked the normal map. Whats probably happening is triangulation doesn't match between the modelling program and the baker. Basically the normal map isn't working correctly to correct shading on that configuration of triangualtion.

there is a little bunch of verts that could be fixed and a weird face on the inside of the front collar (but thats not your issue there and you probably won't ever see it, but welding those and fixing that should be 10secs once you know it's there, so might as well)
  • Poseidon8734
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poseidon8734 polycounter lvl 6
    Ghogiel said:
    I am guessing you didn't triangulate the mesh before you exported to where ever you baked the normal map. Whats probably happening is triangulation doesn't match between the modelling program and the baker. Basically the normal map isn't working correctly to correct shading on that configuration of triangualtion.

there is a little bunch of verts that could be fixed and a weird face on the inside of the front collar (but thats not your issue there and you probably won't ever see it, but welding those and fixing that should be 10secs once you know it's there, so might as well)
    Yeah, that was it. Now I feel stupid lol. Thanks!