Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Need help with my Aston Martin DB5

Baskoro_Bhanu
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Baskoro_Bhanu polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I'm going in the right direction. Critique is very appreciated.

Replies

• lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    Topology is looking really clean, but I would keep the panels together for now until you're 100% sure of the base shape to make sure that you get proper reflections and keep it consistent (also easier to edit).

One thing I noticed is that many parts look very straight, when this is a pretty curvy car all around. Maybe double check your blueprints as they might be inaccurate.

• sarasumm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sarasumm polycounter lvl 4
    Looks nice so far! I agree with the other commenter; keeping the model as a single piece is a good idea until you've got everything blocked out. Once you're ready to split up the pieces, you'll be able to keep consistent edge flow and have a riggable model.
  • gbpackers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gbpackers polycounter lvl 4
    Whether you work with one fully blocked out body, or you work with separate panels extracted from an early stage you want to make sure that your topology lines flow uniformly across the different panels. If a panel for example has 2 edges close to a corner and the adjoining panel has 3, then there could be a clear viewable discrepancy in the panels. 

In my example here, there is only one discrete location where I have mismatched lines crossing the panel gaps.

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I would create the whole body as a single mesh without panel cuts and subdivide once. Then do the cuts and subdivide some more.
    Check this out:
    https://www.ebalstudios.com/blog/modeling-cars-polygons
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Overall the main issue here is a distorted warped surface once subsurf/subdiv was applied (simply add a carpaint matcap to see for yourself) coupled with other minor problems although that said, fairly straightforward too fix,

Also worth keeping in mind, especially for these particular objects, maintaining a consistent edge flow as already mentioned, is key whether an intended goal is off-line or realtime workflow.

(will add further info later, on my way out the door)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Ok in addition, your topology is quite sound though a tad low poly in places for my taste, but that's neither here nor there just a matter of preference to be honest and imo won't noticeably effect the silhouette at LOD0 (full level of detail) as in this linked higher rez'd example AAA asset:

LOD Level of Detail in car models

or conversely, if your aim is too render a macro static shot for visualization, then again a high polycount would not be a problem.

(see link @teodar23 kindly posted)

As to correcting the 'warping' mesh issue I'd mentioned earlier, simply generate a "guide mesh" using the Shrinkwrap Modifier which will also allow increased detail editing accuracy, as well.

EDIT:
    *Important* remember to turn off Solidify, prior.