Home Career & Education

Am i good enough to get a junior artist job?

Hi guys, im here to aks if you could please rate my artwork on my portifolio, im trying to get a job as a junior artist, im quite new to this field and i'd really appreciate any comments on if its good enough for me to start looking for work.

please dont rate the portifolio itself, its a WIP im aware of the loading time and missing information.

thanks in advance

www.jimgunzel.com

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Get an Artstation Account thats the standard for Portfolios.
    And take a look at this thread to get a feeling about Junior Artists.
    https://polycount.com/discussion/187512/recently-hired-in-aaa-show-us-your-portfolio/p1
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    first and most important thing

Scale.  

A number of your textures seem wrongly scaled to me - if you make bricks the wrong size the house made of them looks funny etc...

Also, just put your work on Artstation, why waste time on making a website when a group of expert professionals can make you one for free?

As I'm sure you've read many times - you have 3 minutes to catch my attention when I see your application. 
    In those 3 minutes I have to find the work and be impressed by it. If I have to learn to navigate a "uniquely designed" website you've lost half that window and you're already on the back foot compared to everyone who used artstation. 
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    poopipe said:
    first and most important thing

Scale.  

A number of your textures seem wrongly scaled to me - if you make bricks the wrong size the house made of them looks funny etc...

Also, just put your work on Artstation, why waste time on making a website when a group of expert professionals can make you one for free?

As I'm sure you've read many times - you have 3 minutes to catch my attention when I see your application. 
    In those 3 minutes I have to find the work and be impressed by it. If I have to learn to navigate a "uniquely designed" website you've lost half that window and you're already on the back foot compared to everyone who used artstation. 
    Oh, it's nowhere close to three minutes. Maybe ten seconds.

If there's something noteworthy in that ten seconds, it'll get more time, but if nothing stands out a glance, it'll be immediately on to the next portfolio.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    I think you're good enough to work in a game dev team as a junior but for sure you need to show it, your current work is aimed at archviz for the most part of your environments
    Game is about performances and crafting out of fewer resource very often.
    Maybe get started with game-engine conditions either through making stuff in Unity or making stuff in Unreal, or modding existing games.
    Also follow the tips from above about the portfolio itself.. It took me to click once, then to scroll down to finally see these renders of yours. It should be what I see instant after clicking your portfolio URL.
    good luck!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Agreed with everything said here.  And also that it's more like 10 seconds.  I clicked on ur site, scrolled down and stopped after about 8 seconds.  I caught a glimpse of your work in the thumbnails and you seem to grasp the basics but the quality is not up to par.  You can certainly get there but you need to compare your work with industry veterans and come a lot closer to the standard.  Don't worry about quantity, just focus on quality.  You show promise but as of now, I would not hire you as a Jr.  
  • jimgunzel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys i really appreciate it, looks like i have got some work to do.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Wow. 

Well, I guess I can pride myself on taking more time than most to assess my applicants :p