Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer: Splatter, Tile Generator, Tile Random, Tile Sampler - what's the difference?

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
Right now from my perspective they all serve exactly the same purpose: randomly (or not randomly, but mostly randomly) spread an input shape. Have I just not encountered yet a specific enough material to fully appreciate the differences each of those nodes offers?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You've obviously seen that they have different parameters, inputs and features so I won't point that out. 

Over time better tools get added. They can't remove the old tools or older  substances break so you end up with lots of stuff that does the same thing
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
    poopipe said:
    They can't remove the old tools or older  substances break
    Small price for a cleaner interface.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Not if you've got 5 years worth of substance library built up for your studio.

If you want a cleaner setup, spend some time reading the documentation and you'll find ways to filter and organise the library.

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I don't know what I do wrong but my substances never  survive a year past. :/
    Many works but kind of wrong  because of some no more using  32 bit blending  any more,   others perhaps  because they need no more pixel size or mip level correction necessary.     But mostly  because of  distributed resources.

Have no idea why 3d max or Blender  never caused an issue for me  with same approach.

Only pixels processors  works always same   but gosh they are so inconvenient to work with . You are getting so blind folded and usually have no idea what went wrong and at what stage.   

I enjoy Sverchok  for Blender for just showing you actual data/ numbers  it passes from one node to another and a node preview in view port.

• Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    poopipe said:
    They can't remove the old tools or older  substances break
    Small price for a cleaner interface.

it really is not a small price. downwards compatibility is very important for businesses as time, effort and money has been invested. Like you poopipe pointed out.

I always use Tile Sampler, its the most powerful of them all offering the most flexibility in tiling your shapes.
    However, I suppose if performance is essential and Tile Generator or Tile Random offer enough flexibility for your use case, you could use those instead of Tile Sampler. How much and if there even is a significant performance difference, I dont know for sure. 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    What surprises me more is that non of them is  easy and convenient to  use.    Comparing with  ClarisseFX tools to scatter things around or even  new  node approach in Blender.