Home Technical Talk

Anyone got to import properly FBX animations in Blender?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
tucho polycounter lvl 17
Hello, I have an issue trying to import FBX animations in Blender, I have the skinned model with its bones in one FBX file and the animation files in several FBX files, in Unity the animations are loaded perfectly on the model, also in 3ds Max which just need to import one animation file in the same scene that the model with the option 'Add and update animation' to load it properly, but in Blender it doesn't work in that way, the animation file is imported as a different armature in the scene and then I have to apply its animation as an 'action' to the armature of the skinned model, see below what happen:

The skinned mesh with bones seems to be imported properly

Also the bones of the animation file, seems to perform the animation properly

But when I try to load the action of the animation file on the mesh with bones, it doesn't work fine.

I tried it with different models and the result is always a wrong animation... I've tried everything but I can't figure out how to solve it, maybe it is simply not doable at the current Blender state? any of you got to import properly FBX animations from separated files in Blender?

Thank you in advance

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You do not have to juggle with re-assigning the action. Delete the armature that got imported with the model, keeping only the armature that shows the proper animation data. Then point to it in the Armature modifier of the mesh. That's all there is to it.

(of course you absolutely can re-attach actions and do all kinds of manipulation with them, but that's besides the point at this stage since you have another, more basic issue/misunderstanding to address first).
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Hi pior, thank you for your reply, I didn't tried that approach, but it seems that it doesn't work either :/

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well ... what you are trying to do is perfectly doable, so there's something else going on there. Impossible to guess without looking at the actual file and/or source of it.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    If you dont need to animate in Blender i would use Alembic to import the animation. Even in Maya Alembic is used for rendering.

Never render a live rig!