Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback - Environment Artist / Prop Artist

Hello Polycount!,

My name is Martin im an self taught Environment Artist! Im always looking for other peoples opinion what my weaknesses are and what i could improve / focus on with my Art.

Im really grateful that communities like these exist giving the chance for everyone to improve and get critique's and learn from their mistakes - So basically i would love to get some feedback on my Portfolio :)

The Drill Press is my latest piece so most likely at which level im at the moment.
I appreciate every answer and critique i get!

Thank you so much in advance.

many greetings,

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    I think your textures are your weakest point right now.
    The texture for your drill feels mostly like a tiling smart material with a couple of generated dirt layers on top. 
    There is no story in it, no personal touches.
    I know it´s not the same kind of drill but take look at the drill on the left, there isn´t rust everywhere uniformly, there is rust in particular places, especially around screws and lone bits sticking out. There isn´t dirt everywhere but look how much dirt is on the top where you might put your hand often when working with this tool.
    On yours everything is the same amount of dirty and rusty for the most part, there is no breakup and nowhere to rest the eye so it comes off a little noisy.
    i see the same problem in your other works as well, so I think leveling up your texture game would really push your stuff forward.
    Hope that helps :)

• Martin_Martschenko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your textures are your weakest point right now.
    The texture for your drill feels mostly like a tiling smart material with a couple of generated dirt layers on top. 
    There is no story in it, no personal touches.
    I know it´s not the same kind of drill but take look at the drill on the left, there isn´t rust everywhere uniformly, there is rust in particular places, especially around screws and lone bits sticking out. There isn´t dirt everywhere but look how much dirt is on the top where you might put your hand often when working with this tool.
    On yours everything is the same amount of dirty and rusty for the most part, there is no breakup and nowhere to rest the eye so it comes off a little noisy.
    i see the same problem in your other works as well, so I think leveling up your texture game would really push your stuff forward.
    Hope that helps :)

Thank you so much for your honest opinion i appreciate it! I'll definitely keep that now in mind for my future projects

I should have looked more at reference for the texturing and ask myself the question how the person would have worked at that tool and where in particular rust grows - That's really helpful!