Home Technical Talk

MARI Alternatives for 8k projection texturing

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
OccultMonk interpolator
Are there any viable alternatives for the 8K projection texturing that MARI can do? For example for faces.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    No Mari is King in this area. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    You can work with an 8K canvas and tiles/UDIMs in Mudbox. That should (can't say for sure - I've not worked with more than 4K resolution myself) include using 8K images for projection.

Doubtful that anything can truly stack up to Mari when it comes to managing all that data on large assets though.  But if you don't require many layers per channel and have only a few UDIMs or perhaps just one tile it should be doable - assuming your GPU comes with a decent chunk of video RAM, else Mudbox in my experience gets a little moody.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Don't think there's anything comparable.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    I would not mind renting MARI for a month, but I don't want to buy it for a full year.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I once tried to work with 10 udim tiles 4096 each in 3d coat.   It was uncomfortable as hell .   I think it supports up to 16k  individual texture  but the question is how many ?    it does have projection painting  and  tools to morph projection to conform an object.   And it paints all material channels at once.       Not as convenient as Mari connection to Photoshop although

• OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Looking for projection painting like Mari. I don't believe Substance has anything like that. I don't need Mari all the time, so it is quite wasteful to buy it for a full year. Is 4K and 16 bit export of the free version enough to use for portraits?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It all depends on what you actually mean by "projection texturing". For instance (and if I am not mistaken), Mari does that using its very own paradigm of laying patches that one can deform and bake down. Yet other software allow you to work the other way around, by sending a screenshot of the asset to Photoshop and letting you paint/lay details there, and import that back to reproject (Mudbox, 3DCoat and Blender can all do that ... with varying levels of stability/predictability). And then there's of course the usual stamping of alphas/stencils a la Substance Painter.

It also depends if you are okay with setting up "pseudo udims" by hand or not, whether or not you need seamless painting across materials, and so on ...
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Yes, Photoshop projection could work best? Best program for this? 3dCoat or Zbrush. I thought Substance does not allow projections from photoshop?