Home Career & Education

Is it a good idea, to post about my daily progress on social media ?

node
I've stumbled upon some article stating that, promoting myself could be done trough social media, like Instagram or Twitter but, it would require daily posting. Seems easy to do, however, I'm not sure if there's anyone out there who publishes screenshoots of the progression of his projecs. Other than this, I don't know what I could post about that could bring attention.

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    you dont have to post every day, you can set your own rythm, but it's a great way to start building an audience and following. it starts slow but if you are consistent and can find ways to give value by documenting your workflow or giving tips to others, it will gain momentum over time. 
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Eh, this post turned out longer than intended so I'm splitting it into topics. Those tips aren't specific to getting visibility for 3D work in particular because I've not done this for 3D yet, those are things that worked when I was getting the word out about my 2D work.

Create dynamic content
    You can mix your screenshots with engaging presentations. As livestreams attest people love seeing the act of something being created. This is different from stills—which are more like changelogs—, this feels like personally witnessing the process.

You don't need so far as doing lives or even recording your process though, timelapses will work fine for something that lends itself to it. Bonus points for being of easier consumption! The progress in sculptures for example is fascinating when presented this way. You don't need to make a zero-to-complete timelapse either, the carving out of small details is interesting enough to catch the eye.

When doing maps you can do gifs showing only clay + normal, only albedo, a metallic-looking metalness, etc. It creates that same feeling of peeking behind the curtains.

Other great thing: Turnarounds.

Present it properly
    When you're trying to maximize your reach it's important to present your work in the best light. For 3D projects that means actual proper light and maybe a hdri setup. No need go crazy, just don't do a boring flat gray matcap, use something that interacts with actual lights.

You can throw in screenshots of the software too but organize the viewport first and crop them properly. Don't leave weird edges of menus that could ruin the composition.

Be nice and interact with people
    If you don't have the bandwidth to always talk to people you can do what Tim suggested, post tips. This is fantastic advice; a way to help out the community and interact in a constructive way. People can tell when someone is just chasing after likes or is actually engaged with the community.

Create pieces people care about
    Fan art is a popular one because your audience already has a connection to the subject. Feel free to indulge yourself from time to time and do one of a thing you love, Like-minded people who enjoy {thing} and the genre/style will find you.

A longer-running, more complex original project is another way to do this because it gives people time to get attached to it.

Tag it
    Tag your posts whenever possible. Before you start to get small viral bursts (wow this sounds terrible) that will be the only way people can find your work.

Sign it!
    Also never forget to attach your name (+ maybe "wip" and social media handle or url) to every image and gif and video: They will get around without you. You want people to find the way back to you.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hello -

Overall ... it's a bit of a fallacy imho. It really doesn't matter how much someone posts if said posts are of low quality/do not trigger any reaction to the viewer. In which case, posting things frequently benefits only one entity : the social media platform that got you hooked by making you believe that it is helpful for your career.

In other words there is no such thing as gradually "grinding" social media towards success, that's just a misconception caused by the fact that successful people have followers. But they didn't get successful thanks to that - they got the followers *because* they are successful/good at what they do. You might benefit from adhering to a daily routine of practice of course, but no social media is needed for that. (as a matter of fact it can even be detrimental)

To put it differently : if someone tomorrow posts something great that fully captures the mood of the day, it will spread like wildfire and get viewed. The previous online presence of the person posting it will have nothing to do with that ...

Similarly, someone posting fantastic stuff everyday will get noticed because of the combination of the two (quality and frequency).

Here are two interesting commentaries :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQOx9-AHghw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul9jrCXhR4&list=PL8CC4D48339913DA9&index=63

If the goal is to find a job, a much better approach imho is to have a handful of great pieces to show. Whether you post them regularly or not will not change anything ...

But then again who knows, there are exceptions to everything. To go back to your original question, I would say that it isn't a good or a bad idea ... it's just mostly irrelevant.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi