Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Body Mechanics test. Would appreciate any critique

Hello everyone, first time poster here.
A little test I've been working on, been looking at the playblast for too long and could use some fresh eyes on it. Trying to improve on my body mechanics capabilities, any feedback is sincerely appreciated.

Replies

• AlexAng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexAng polycounter lvl 2
    The actual liftoff and kick look pretty good.

That run up is a little stilted, is that posed and timed out from a reference? I'd say that every step has to be treated with weight and solid contacts and each one builds up until you're believably having the character jump. Maybe you need to take out a few steps that aren't doing anything but confuse the motion. 

After the kick the character goes into their final pose pretty directly and it's a pose with a very different idea than "recovering from a jump". Maybe you slot in another pose that's the character stopping their weight momentum/doing a secondary bounce after the initial arc of the jump. Last thing is that right hand is IK lerping to that last pose and it doesn't feel natural, if you have a different settle motion that should clear it up though. 

• Rohan_R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Alex, thank you so much for your wonderful feedback, I really appreciate it. I wasn't expecting one after so long and hence didn't check these forums for a while. Yea you're right it is stilted now that i look at it and see the right elbow moving unnaturally too.