Home Technical Talk

Adding thickness to clothes?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4
Hello,
When you make a garment in the marvelous designer it is made of flat plane actually, right ?
so my question is do you add thickness after in zbrush (or other software) ?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Hello,
    When you make a garment in the marvelous designer it is made of flat plane actually, right ?

you can export with thickness, but that actually gave me a ton of issues.

maybe try this, i havent yet but this looks perfect

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    There's an option in MD to export it as a thick garment. You can also quickly add thickness to it in 3D packages, doing the full back faces or keeping only the rim if it's a close fitting article of clothing:

I usually advise to export it as a thin mesh and selectively add thickness later to make retopo easier, but that depends on what you're doing. To be honest even when I need it fully thick I generally avoid exporting thick meshes and add the thickness through the solidify modifier anyway because it's non-destructive and tidier.
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    focus_method polycounter lvl 4
    i know i can export thick from MD, and i  can always add thickness weather through 3dsmax or in zbrush with zmodeler etc. but my question is more like - is this like industry standard ?  clothes must be with thickness ?
    so now i know it is. So it's the right way to create clothes ready for production . Just to clear my doubts.
    thank you.
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Ah, I see. It wasn't clear if you needed thickness for a point in your workflow or something else.

Usually you only have thickness where you need it, with a small amount of lining in areas like cuffs and the bottom of coats to keep the player from spotting culled backfaces. It's the same principle of deleting parts of the body, but the fastest way to clear up your questions is to download character models from games of same target quality and study them. This is the sort of detail that conveniently leaves clear evidence behind.

Two notes: It's useful to have a fully thick mesh in your source files and delete faces only once you learn what will be visible, this way you don't have to fret if it turns out some area needs inner lining for a specific animation. And of course, the UVs should take this reclaimed real estate into account.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downloadable high-quality character model in FBX and Maya formats, with textures. Worth a look.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/NyraCharacter
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Adding thickness on a low poly/retopo mesh in the 3D app is indeed trivial - but I'd like to have it in the sculpt/MD output in a clean way only for the necessary parts (with proper subdiv levels). Something I have not solved for myself to satisfaction yet - it's been an annoying fudge so far (manually deleting unseen parts).

• usway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
     This is a basic overview of my current Marvelous Designer > ZBrush ... Soadd the ref image or pattern as a Background Image to the 2D Pattern Window. ... Add textures to all parts you have made UVs for to make sure they are correct.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Q-N8CoyCU