Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Maya object model (key) - Am I on the right track?

node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
einnemee node
Hi, I am a complete beginner on AutoDesk Maya, this is my first attempt at creating a key that I designed: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5X2aY1

I am an architectural designer so I have knowledge of 3D modelling in other softwares such as AutoDesk Revit and CAD, but have never done any organic shapes. One of my questions is how much do I need to focus on creating low poly and watertight models? I haven't quite got to grips with these concepts yet and feel like my key model is very high poly for what it is. Any feedback would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If it's for only visual looks, watertight models are OUT the door generally.  It'll only come back for special cases like deformation use later, VFX needs, among other things.

Something like a key?  Float geo everywhere is fine if it makes your life easier.

Making a low poly model of this only matters if you're going to real-time render/operate this somewhre else like a game engine.  Up to you if you want to meet that technical expectation.
  • einnemee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    einnemee node
    Hi Brian, thanks for your comments. As this is just a first practice it is for visual purposes only, but I would like to learn how to make game ready props so I should learn the low poly modelling techniques - there's plenty of tutorials out there so it's just a case of finding the right ones - can be a bit overwhelming! 

Any suggestions for a good place to start?
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Hey,
    A good guideline is to make something look as good as possible with as few polygons as possible. As Brian mentioned there are a few scenarios where you'd want nice uniform topology and watertight models but for props and enviro art (non-animated) there is really no constraint. You can have floating polygons on top of your model to add more detail without increasing the polycount to crazy amounts. You can have intersecting geometry (i.e. not booleaned and properly merged) if it doesnt look too terrible. Basically you can get away with a lot of tricks as long as it looks good and runs good enough.
    As far as tutorials go there are a lot of not so good ones on the tube but there are a few that are pretty good. I have to recommend Arrimus3d and Chamferzone on yt. But i also recommend paying for a tut or two on pluralsight or udemy.
    Good luck!
  • einnemee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    einnemee node
    Hi teodar23, thanks for your reply, I'm glad to hear that float geometry is ok as it does make my life easier as a beginner! Thanks for the tutorial recommendations, I will check them out. 
  • francisbaud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    francisbaud triangle
    It's a very beautiful key! The physically based rendering (I guess?) makes it look so realistic. As others have said, if it's for in-game purposes then you might need to make lower-poly version(s) to make it render with better performances.