Home Technical Talk

Polycount for single character in Mobile Ios game?I am developing a mobile game and have not hired a

We are developing a mobile game and have not hired a unity engineer yet. We are doing all the art first than planning on hiring a unity developer to put it together. The 3D modeler asked me what polycount am I looking for in the Character Model and stumped me. From my noob internet research it seems around 1500 tris seems about right for the polycount a mobile game character? Does that seem right?

There will just be one 3D character on a screen with a background/environment with little to no animations.  The user will be able to move a fixed rail  camera around the character to view it from all sides. The character will just be demonstrating limited Karate type action animations.

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    You can push a lot more polys then that if you are just doing one character on screen.  I don't know exact numbers but it should be easy to test once you get it into Unity.  I'd try pushing to like 7-8k at least.  You might be able to go even higher if the background env is not complex.  You can always LOD if you need to.
  • KaraZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What does LOD mean?
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Level-of-Detail. Lods are different resolutions of geometry based on distance from the camera or other parameters. There are tools to reduce geo automatically like Simplygon.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    why don't you just make some tests? run a few differently dense meshes with skinning through the engine. it doesnt have to be well made. just some geo, uvs, textures, some background assets to represent what will be there and then go from there. just one character asset on screen and some simple background, sounds to me like you could be pushing a lot more.

just work with your modeller to get these testcases ready and see for yourself whats doable.
    if you dont wanna spend the budget on creating throw away meshes, just download some stuff from the internet, there are TONS of rigged, skinned and textured  assets out there, with various poly densities, ripped from various games even.
    it's just for testing you do not use that stuff in the final game, but if were you. I'd just grab some stuff from various games and test with those