Home Career & Education

Best online schools for 3D Modeling Career?

Hey guys,

I have been on and off learning Maya for many years usually through Digital-Tutors (Now Plural Sight) and even though I have learned a fair amount, I feel I need more. So I decided it is time to enroll in a good education that will teach me all I need to launch a career as a 3d Modeler.

So my question is what are some of the better online schools that aren’t just archived tutorials to follow? And since this pandemic has financially strained me, are there any that accept student loans?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    "3D Modeling Career?"

Not sure what that means, can you elaborate a bit?

Also I'll advise against taking on financial debt learning this stuff, in my opinion to be entirely honest especially nowadays in most cases it's really unnecessary to do so.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    To echo sacboi's sentiment, there is no school that can get you to a hireable level. And if a school or program does say that, take it with a very big grain of salt. The people who get jobs after going through school programs are the ones who consistently went far above and beyond the expectations placed on them. So regardless of having a curriculum to help guide you, you're still going to have to constantly be doing your own research, experimentation and problem solving.

That being said, if you feel like you just need a boost to get on the right track there are lots of great mentorships out there and, relatively, affordable online programs like CGMA to look into.

If you're looking to get into games, I'd say it's pretty rare to find a job where all you do is model. Even to be a prop artist, you need to have a more rounded skill set with sculpting, texturing etc. Sharing your portfolio would help to gauge what's the best option for you.
  • efr100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To echo sacboi's sentiment, there is no school that can get you to a hireable level. And if a school or program does say that, take it with a very big grain of salt. The people who get jobs after going through school programs are the ones who consistently went far above and beyond the expectations placed on them. So regardless of having a curriculum to help guide you, you're still going to have to constantly be doing your own research, experimentation and problem solving.

That being said, if you feel like you just need a boost to get on the right track there are lots of great mentorships out there and, relatively, affordable online programs like CGMA to look into.

If you're looking to get into games, I'd say it's pretty rare to find a job where all you do is model. Even to be a prop artist, you need to have a more rounded skill set with sculpting, texturing etc. Sharing your portfolio would help to gauge what's the best option for you.
    Yeah. I suppose I am looking for mentorship most of all. I considered CG Spectrum and CGMA however I have to determine how to fund it with my current financial situation not being at it's best due to COVID. I thought schooling would work for the financial aid and a sped up way to gain knowledge of all I need to know to create assets from start to finish for a portfolio. I just felt I was getting no where with plain instructional videos because I wouldn't know what to do next, like full pipelines and such.