Home Technical Talk

Max Nitrous Viewport Clay in Blender?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
One thing I miss about Max, having transitioned to Blender last year, is the viewport clay mode. I believe that had something to do with a nitrous driver that Max uses? Is this something that can be implemented in Blender? Or maybe a future feature? I like the matcaps in Blender, I just really like the old Max clay. :)

Thanks
Daf

Replies

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Eh, I'm reasonably familiar with Blender's interface but know nothing about Max's. A visual example would be helpful.

Is this what you want?

If yes I've been using Eevee to achieve something similar to great effect. The downside is that it's not a matcap, it's a material, and as far as I know Eevee still doesn't have an Override material toggle so that needs to be assigned manually.

Material setup:

You need to switch to Eevee for a second to turn Ambient Occlusion on for this to to work. You can switch to Cycles once you do it and use the material preview as you clay viewport then; that's my preferred sculpting setup in Blender.

Eevee's handling of the AO node is different than in Cycles. It's nothing but a mask output of the the scene's AO influence on the object, making it quite fast. You'll see that messing with the settings like I did won't affect it, but it does take the normal map input into account which I really like.
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, that's pretty darn close, birb! Thanks for the tutorial. Is there a way, in Blender, to save a material so you don't have to construct it each time?

I don't know enough about the "nitrous" driver to know if Blender will ever be able to use it.

Thanks again!

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Glad to help! The usual way is to save the material in the startup file, but it won't exist in older files and I don't like the clutter, so I use the NodeCustomBuilder add-on for these cases.

You'll still have to add and name the material before loading the node tree, but extending it to fully generate a same name material in one click shouldn't be too hard if you happen to know Blender's API and a little python.
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome! Thanks again! :)