Home Technical Talk

perceived scale in blender vr renders

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
So I am bit confused re the whole perception of scale in vr. In some of my scenes , It looks like a model village
then in others I am tiny and the room is huge. Played around with various settings like inter ocular scale, convergence
plane etc, but cannot get predictable results. I love the whole model village look, really fun, but don't always want that look
Any suggestions?

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Provided you build everything to a consistent scale you don't generally get much weirdness unless objects get closer than the focal distance of the two cameras. 

I've not touched the blender stuff  but I'd be very surprised if it didn't assume the viewer was human sized
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah if you scale down the scene objects then in blender vr addon, it works fine ie you are a giant in a tiny house, but in 360 images the only way seems to be to zoom out, but in a small room, you can only zoom out so far
    there seems to be more freedom in vr with realtime not pre rendered
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    forgtot to mention that I want sometimes to make the scene really small, other times make it normal size( which is fairly easy)
    increasing the interocular distance helps, but if you increase it too much it breaks the illusion
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'd assume the pre-rendered stuff is fundamentally just a texture on a ball (or two) so scale is basically irrelevant.
    You'd need to configure the camera position if that's an option
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    I don't have much VR experience so don't take this too seriously: the interocular distance also represents what's your "head size". A bigger distance between the eyes means a bigger head size.

So imagine what kind of size a human head would have in your scene, and then think of what IOD represents that head.

A different distance between the eyes implies a different head size (and how the whole scene relates to that head size):

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    poopipe - scale is relevent with the new vr inspector inside blender, works great , ie giant inside a small scene, but pre rendered is tough to set up. just confuses a guy
    The more extreme you make the IOD , the more it hurts your eyes at exteme angles

RN - sorry for the late response, so yeah i was thinking along the same lines, ie a large IOD would make the scene look smaller and it kind of works to a certain degree, but then there is a limit where it stops working.
    some scenes intantly look like model vilages, others look huge. been fiddling with the settings for ages and nothing seems to work consistently