Home Technical Talk

Normal map bag

Hi guys !

I am studying normal maps and have some problems in practice.
I watched some tutorial videos on this topic and you tube, but I still have problems when I bake my mesh.

I subdivided UV - islands in my low poly model and also adjusted the hardness of the edges.

My high poly :

When baked, it looks good at first glance, but when I zoom it, bugs are visible.

I bake in marmoset toolbag 3.

Guys please help me fix this.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where is the render from? And did you pad the UV gutters?
  • redrobberx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, it is just a screenshot from marmoset viewport.
    Yes. I used padding.
    Here are my settings for baking in a marmoset.

This is how I placed my low and high poly objects.
    Maybe the problem is here?

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    if you need to get that close, you need more geometry in your low poly object. normal maps have limitations
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    In my experience it's totally  ok  bake  over hard/split edge .   It's never 100% perfect  up close in this case, Especially in an actual game  where normal maps 8 bit and compressed,

You may have even worse looking thing if your engine does low res shadow maps  forwarded (scene scaled)  style  and no contact shadows with actual shadowing totally ignores that texel normals only rounding and revealing  hard edge on  shadowed side  of the cube,

Like in many mobile games and in certain render optimization scenarios.

I am not  much of Unreal4 user  but from what  I remember  U4 also sometimes kind of reveals the hard edge after you turn on Distance field AO and the rounding  starts to look less perfect

If you need 100%  perfect rounding you may try face weighted normals and actual geometer bevel   but keep in mind  you wouldn't be able to get rid of those extra edges  through lod02  and maybe lod03.

In a word it's always a compromise, a trade off  you have to decide for each exact  case

• redrobberx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    if you need to get that close, you need more geometry in your low poly object. normal maps have limitations

Thanks for the clarification )
  • redrobberx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    In my experience it's totally  ok  bake  over hard/split edge .   It's never 100% perfect  up close in this case, Especially in an actual game  where normal maps 8 bit and compressed,

You may have even worse looking thing if your engine does low res shadow maps  forwarded (scene scaled)  style  and no contact shadows with actual shadowing totally ignores that texel normals only rounding and revealing  hard edge on  shadowed side  of the cube,

Like in many mobile games and in certain render optimization scenarios.

I am not  much of Unreal4 user  but from what  I remember  U4 also sometimes kind of reveals the hard edge after you turn on Distance field AO and the rounding  starts to look less perfect

If you need 100%  perfect rounding you may try face weighted normals and actual geometer bevel   but keep in mind  you wouldn't be able to get rid of those extra edges  through lod02  and maybe lod03.

In a word it's always a compromise, a trade off  you have to decide for each exact  case

Thanks for the information you provided, it is very helpful to me )