Home Technical Talk

About workflow

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
zippper4 polycounter lvl 4
Hello :)
I'm fairly new to Zbrush, still experimenting and discovering new applications, and tweaks.
I'm sorry if it souns silly but i'm here to find help after all.

I must say i'm kind of "lost" when it comes to start a project, because i don't really know the "typical" way to achieve the final work through different steps. (Speaking for a video game production so animation later etc.)

I was wondering if you guys could help me in sharing your typical way to finalise your projects (from Scratch to render) please? That would be awesome! B)

Sort of like this :
1/ Ideas, finding references -> 2/ Zsphere or Polymesh -> 3/ First sculpt (Masses, clay) -> 4/ dynamesh [...]
(And so on)

I'm asking that because i think i need like a guideline to go forward till the end. But i always find myself lost when it comes to dynamesh, subdivisions, topology etc. I just don't know in which order i have to do that.
Typically asking myself : "How much resolution for the dynamesh?" , "When i have to transfert details on a low poly mesh?" , "Do i have to do polypaint before or after the little details like skin pores?" etc. So it kind of holds me from moving on. :/

I've red many books and tutorials but i didn't find any that talks about that, most of the time they focus on how to sculpt or the technical aspect of the options in ZBrush.

Anyway sorry for the huge text box, and thank you in advance any help and reading is appreciated, ;)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    You need to discover this on your own, through trial and error.

Following someone else's flow means you aren't learning the "why's" of each decision. So when things break, you can't fix them easily, because the clean ordered process isn't plain and simple anymore (it never was anyhow).

You can make this learning process a bit easier by working in small digestible chunks. Rather than shooting straight for complex whole characters, build one small piece at a time, from start to finish.

Also, learn how to organize your work as a professional does, so you're not relying on something as fickle as "motivation".

• zippper4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zippper4 polycounter lvl 4
    Hello, thanks very much for your advices, yes that's what i'm trying to do, i guess that's why it's holding me. The thing is sometimes i can't explain stuff that are happening and it's kind of frustrating as i would like to understand them to get over it. So each time i've having troubles i seach, and if i don't find something i try forums and i note it so the next time i'll know how to manage this.

I agree but as a total beginner i think it's good to have like a quick overview of the whoie process and then trying to apply it in our way you know?

For instance, i used to learn guitar long time ago, and rather starting right on trying to find everything on the fretboard on your own without references, it's easier (i think) to learn songs from bands you like, learning the partition and then you are able to play on time and then you can start to improvise maybe. I think it's kind of the same here. (Again it's my view on things  =) )

But i agree it wasn't and will never be that simple as we would like to.

I'm digging your articles, this is really interesting and really helpful actually thank you!

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Do you know your preferred study method yet? It usually applies to learning everything in your life, so look at your past experiences for clues of what's it.

People love those classic "how to model X" tutorials in which they replicate steps to achieve a random thing then apply the knowledge to a project of their own. Such tutorials are highly popular—entire courses are built onto this format—, so these students are likely the majority. You won't have a hard time finding these resources.

Other people don't fare well in this model. If you're one of those you might want to look up breakdown articles. They tend to differ from tutorials for the insights into the author's reasoning instead of sticking to the tools' technical aspects or "how to..." alone. You'll hardly find a breakdown showing a project from start to finish though, the idea is to absorb bits of knowledge here and there then mix them into something new to figure out your own preferred workflow. This is the model for hands-on students and people who like to poke at things.

WIP threads and sketchbooks are also fantastic learning resources for the same reasons above. Watch other people working, learn from them, then don't forget to post your own attempts. People will be able to address your concerns like if you're jumping into resolution too soon and suggest alternative workflows.