Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

my portfolio review

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hello guys,

I'm aspiring concept artist. During this pandemic I've started learning  software like Blender, photoshop etc from youtube tutorials, based on the knowledge that i gained during these several months I've created my folio.
 I dont have any clue where to begin or am i going in right direction. 
so it is my humble request to take a look at my portfolio, and give your honest opinion and critique, also I'd love to hear your insights about approaching companies as a beginner or intern.

Portfolio link - 

https://maximus206_96.artstation.com/

thank you for your time.

Replies

• SopheeJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SopheeJay polycounter lvl 3
    Hey there :)

I'm a current student myself so I've been relentlessly researching portfolio advice and critique so I hope I can help. I'm also on the hunt for an internship position myself so I'll share my advice!

Using the ArtStation website builder is a good idea, most recruiters know and it's easy to use. You definitely have enough in you portfolio, maybe a little too much so I would suggest thinning it out a bit and removing some of the less impressive stuff, for example I'd say the 'notan studies', 'banihime' and 'batman' for sure, as well any piece you're not too fond of or wouldn't be interested in working on, though I can see in a theme in your portfolio of temples and gladiators, as well as the more sci-fi stuff which is helpful to see what kind of content you like!

You Marvel fan arts are absolutely lovely, really impressive, however I'd advice to remove the duplicates, such as the lone 'thor', 'shazam', 'superman prime' and 'captain marvel' pieces, as these can be seen in other, more impressive piece. Perhaps you could include these separate hero shots in the main posts instead, to keep them together (that would also help thin out the initial view of your portfolio without losing the lovely work!)

I would also consider giving your pieces more interesting titles if possible (and using capital letters (seems like I'm picking as minor issues but it helps to look more professional!)) 

Other than that you have some really impressive work! :) Just remember to focus on quality not quantity. You definitely have the quality so I'd just work on refining and thinning out your portfolio to just the best pieces, because you will be judged on your worst pieces unfortunately!

As for job hunting and as a junior, I recommend making a list of all the companies your interested in, make use of recourses (like https://www.gamedevmap.com/) to search for companies you may not have heard of but would still be suitable for. Ideally look for studios that work with your style and content (realism and gladiatorial for example) however as a junior you might have to settle with something you're not too interested in! But I suggest looking at their website on their job/careers pages, their social media or LinkedIn and look for junior roles, and it never hurts to send in a speculative application if they accept them. :) 

Wishing you all the best with your work and job hunting! :)