Home General Discussion

Custom Greentooth Keycaps

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Cody polycounter lvl 15
Just got this custom shine-through keycap made from https://www.maxkeyboard.com/custom-backlight-compatible-keycap-for-backlit-keyboard.html

Sent them this PNG to make it if you want to get one too!  - 

The quality is great, the light comes through very nice, and all the lines are super clean.  $13.50 shipped from California. Only comes in black and white, but i LOVE it. 

Using it to replace the LED mode key.   My ESC key is on the right, because I use the delete key way more often, so I swapped delete key over to where ESC usually is, so I don't have to reach as far from the ALT key.  Used this app to do that - https://www.randyrants.com/category/sharpkeys/

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ESC to Polycount, love it!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    ESC to Polycount, love it!
    haha ya, i should bind it to open polycount haha
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    This is awesome! I love the keychron k4 so much. Such a great keyboard
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    That looks awesome!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey there @Cody -

I'd like to get into this kind of keyboards for a secondary unit but the market is flooded with options - to a point where it is starting to feel similar to audiophile gear. I would need to find a near-full layout (as I do need the right edge of the right ctrl key to be aligned with the right edge of backspace/backslash/enter/shift).

I should probably mention that even though I have never laid my fingers on the kind of keys/switches used in such keyboards (cherry ? blue ? brown ?), my daily driver is a Unicomp Model M with buckling spring keys, that I have been using for years. Hence I am getting at this with a bit of an unusual bias. I have no clue which kind of switches would fit me - just looking for something a bit less loud than a Model M really but still with good tactile feedback. Are there any keyswitches samplers available (with one of each switch ?)

I dig the look of the caps in the first picture. What is the reference ?

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    They got those Cherry switch sample units in my local computer shop (part of a nationwide chain). I figure these shouldn't be too hard to come by in a store if you go and ask. Anyway they all felt too loud and harsh for me - I went with a backlit chiclet keyboard. :D

Do they really charge 10 dollars for a tiny plastic cap on that site?

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Ya i think the best way to see what you like is find a computer shop near you that has some options and you can clickity clack on.  There are def a TON of options haha.  Then just find one with a layout you like with those switches.

I think Keychron makes a low profile full board if thats what you are looking for.

I got the Keychron K4 because I liked the compactness but still having a 10 key.  And wireless and wired connections.  Besides the greentooth, those are the stock keycaps.  I think the board I have has the Cherry brown switches.  Which arent as loud as the other kinds

pior said:
    Hey there @Cody -

I'd like to get into this kind of keyboards for a secondary unit but the market is flooded with options 

I dig the look of the caps in the first picture. What is the reference ?

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey thanks ! Just ordered a 9 switch tester, and I am now eying either the K8 (probably with an additional numpad on the side) or the C2, hot-swappable. That narrows it down nicely already :)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

Have to say I am a bit surprised at the amount of light leakage from underneath the keycaps on the model shown (similar to what's in the OP). Made worse by those rainbow colors which I'm sure you can get rid of. My chiclet keyboard on the other hand has zero leakage, only the letters are illuminated. I'll appreciate it more from today onwards. :D