Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Horned Oxsaur

Hey! I've just registered in polycount to share some art with all of you, I hope this will improve my art with your feedback =)!

I recently participated in the ArtStation Challenge Grand Space Opera: Light Age - Game Character Art, so today, I'm posting the final renders of my character. It was modeled in Blender and Zbrush, textured in Substance Painter, rigged and animated in Blender and finally, rendered in Marmoset Toolbag.

Let me know on what can I grow up my skills and some advices/tips, thank you! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL2fALlWNFA

Here you have my ArtStation portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/paresjosep
And my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/joseppares3d/

Replies

• Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    Something looks out of scale. Cant tell if it is the SSS or the shiny-ness or something else. It looks like you have made something the size of a newt or something.
  • joseppares3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D said:
    Something looks out of scale. Cant tell if it is the SSS or the shiny-ness or something else. It looks like you have made something the size of a newt or something.
    Thanks for your feedback! Can you tell me where do you see this mistake? It's true that I had some difficulties with the SSS in Marmoset, maybe that's the reason, but I can't even notice what are you seeing. Thanks!!
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    Put a human figure in with the render and change the size of the beast to whatever you think it is. See if that helps.
    Also try a render with little or no SSS and your roughness up/glossiness down whichever you are using. Its especially visible in the second picture on the front and rear shoulders. That level of shiny reads as super moist skin. It reminds me of a rhino or longhorn style animal, and both of those have leather skin rather than amphibious moistness. I looked up pictures of Hippos, which spend a ton of time in the water, and even they only look that shiny if they have just come out of the water.
    It might also be the depth of field try easing that up a bit.

• joseppares3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D said:
    Put a human figure in with the render and change the size of the beast to whatever you think it is. See if that helps.
    Also try a render with little or no SSS and your roughness up/glossiness down whichever you are using. Its especially visible in the second picture on the front and rear shoulders. That level of shiny reads as super moist skin. It reminds me of a rhino or longhorn style animal, and both of those have leather skin rather than amphibious moistness. I looked up pictures of Hippos, which spend a ton of time in the water, and even they only look that shiny if they have just come out of the water.
    It might also be the depth of field try easing that up a bit.

Oh, I see it now. My idea was to make that type of scars a little wet, but after looking again for new references it feels that it's not correct. I will change it for sure, thanks for your feedback Skinner!