Home Marmoset

Toolbag 4 really unstable?

wilson66
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
Is it my system, or is Toolbag 4 really unstable? I'm texturing an asset, and Toolbag crashes all the time. Had at least 10 crashes yesterday. Examples: a small part (a screw) was missing from both lowres and highres meshes. I fixed it (OBJ files overwritten), then tried to adjust the baking cage of that screw: crash (Toolbag thinks for a couple of seconds, then just disappears without any messages). Color selection layer in the layer stack: click in the viewport to choose a new color sample: crash. Just switch between the bake project and the texture project in the Texture tab: Toolbag hangs, I can just kill it using the task manager. Drag-and-drop a smart material I saved myself onto a new model: crash.

Just curious. I like the new texturing tools quite a lot, but the crashing...

EDIT: now I can't even load the toolbag file anymore. Toolbag just crashes to the desktop right away. Ridiculous. This app is not production ready. 

Replies

• motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 12
    I had the same problem a few days ago. One of my files crashed during texturing and wouldn't load up the file any more.
    Happened again after I tried to re-texture the same model with the already baked maps from before.

Too bad, really, as I strangely prefer texturing in Marmoset to Substance Painter, so far, despite the differences in features.

I do have a suspicion that some mask setups might be the culprit here. I had a few somewhat more elaborate mask setups in the crashed files which I didn't have in all of the files that still work. Though it really is only a suspicion as I can't confirm it any more. :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am sorry to hear about these issues, any additional information you can provide would be helpful.

First off, can you tell me:
    • What operating system you're using
    • What GPU you're using
    • What video driver you're using, and if you're not on the latest, try updating
    • How many triangles are in your bake project

Generally speaking, you may see instability or poor performance when having bake projects with tens of millions of triangles, in addition to high-resolution texture projects. This typically comes down to video memory management. Most of the systems in Toolbag GPI-based, so all of the data needs to fit into VRAM. If VRAM maxes out, poor performance or instability can occur. Try keeping an eye on the VRAM counter in the bottom right, if you're seeing that near or over 100%, that's a sign that your scene has too much data in it for your GPU to handle. A few things you can do to reduce texture memory:

1. Close all other applications, especially VRAM hungry applications/content creation apps
    2. Turn off ray tracing, ray tracing requires additional VRAM
    3. If your high poly mesh has tens or hundreds of millions of triangles, consider decimating it, or creating two different scenes, one for baking and another for texturing
    4. Reduce the resolution of your texture project(s), you can turn down the preview resolution to reduce VRAM usage while not reducing the master quality/final export resolution
    5. Reduce the resolution and/or bit-depth of your input maps. IE: if you're baking at 8K and 16-bit, but authoring textures at 4K and 16-bit, you may be using 8x more memory than you need to.
    6. Reduce shadow resolution to high or low in the render object, and disable some lights if there are numerous in your scene (each light needs a certain amount of video memory for the shadow map).

Now to the issues mentioned here, if these reproduce reliably it would be great to get more information on exactly how to trigger them. There was a bug fixed in 4.02 with color selection layer types, where selecting more than 4 would cause a crash. Make sure you're running 4.02.

@motionblur if you can provide the same information about your setup that would be great. If you can provide a link to the scene that no longer opens that would be helpful as well. You can send the scene and more information to support@marmoset.co.
  • motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 12
    @EarthQuake - thanks. Sent you a PM. :)