Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How this top works - Brainstorming ideas how its made.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
Anyone have any clue what kinda top/bra this is? looked up laced bras and... well. Ye not that o_o.

The crosshatched sections means its on the front, sorry my 2d skills are not too die for haha. any idea would be very useful especially if you know the name of the top ^_^

So far im thinking its something like this? some crop tops from google

i like the direction this is going achuly :open_mouth:

Replies

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Maybe I'm failing to see it but I don't get what you're struggling with here? Seems a pretty straightforward top.

Look up gym tops and shapewear because the concept is way closer to those than what google spits out for "crop top".

You can add sleeves or an opening at the back and it won't look out of place, the only thing that makes no sense is to suddenly break the shape and replace fabric with straps at the sides of the torso. It's not only something you don't see in tops but it'd give no support at all and likely to hike up like crazy because you get a lot of tension on the front, back and over shoulders and not enough fabric to counter and distribute it at the sides.
  • GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
    birb said:
    Maybe I'm failing to see it but I don't get what you're struggling with here? Seems a pretty straightforward top.

Look up gym tops and shapewear because the concept is way closer to those than what google spits out for "crop top".

You can add sleeves or an opening at the back and it won't look out of place, the only thing that makes no sense is to suddenly break the shape and replace fabric with straps at the sides of the torso. It's not only something you don't see in tops but it'd give no support at all and likely to hike up like crazy because you get a lot of tension on the front, back and over shoulders and not enough fabric to counter and distribute it at the sides.
    Ow, Sorry im really not experienced with clothing and was confused as to were the really lace/mesh stuff would join and make a strong support as it looked very thin.

I guess you're right thats pretty straight forward for a good support. Thanks for clearing things up, sorry for the stupid question.  

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    They say there are no stupid questions. I realize I accidentally sounded too dry. No need to apologize for asking for help with something you're unfamiliar with, it's just you did your homework in showing your research and attempts but failed to point out what you're struggling with. Being specific help us to help you, eg what was bothering you: The sides? The back? Sleeves/not sleeves? Layer order of fabrics? When asking a question never forget to ask it. ;)

As a general tip for clothes always think about function; and when researching go beyond the surface: Yes, it's a top, but what else? In which type of clothing you tend to see this closer fitting, etc?

+ extra tip about this top in particular: Be careful with the blue part when extruding it, it's likely padded. Not padded like a padded bra, padded like two layers of fabric, one structural and one with whatever finish they want to give the garment stretched over it, likely not sew to the underlayer in the middle sections so it can kind slide freely over it if you pick at it. Same idea deconstructed in a wildly different piece of clothing:

The result is something sturdier that won't be form-fitting over the breasts because the outer layer is weaker than the inner in the top's case. The main tip-off after the shape is the sewing: It's pushed outwards by the stiffer structure underneath.