Home Technical Talk

3ds max 2020/21 distorts UV along the edges

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Mendicantes polycounter lvl 6
Hello! Facing a really terrible problem here, solution of which i cant find. The problem is, as its said in the title, is that 3ds max suddenly started to distort UVs along edges. This has not been occurring in 2016 version. 
Here is how I get this effect. I am texturing a wing for a helicopter - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1n5QEZ
Being a complicated object it is made of a panels or different shape, for simulation of look of which i made a floaters on high poly that look like a slice.
When I import a wing into Substance painter and do the bakes - the lines looks straight and properly aligned.

But after bake is done and I am importing the same FBX of a wing, used for bake, into 3ds max scene and then export it again as a complete helicopter i get this odd distortions of UV and hence a texture display.  Important thing to notice, that UV is not being collapsed, UV shells shape and their placements stay the same in both cases. Just for some reason texture in this spots gets "pulled" along the edges.

I am an experienced modeler, so errors on UV are ecxluded on my side. Regardless of the mesh's being triangulated or not before the bake it happens anyways. Quite frustrating thing honestly, no idea how to deal with it. The sequence is the next: model export to SP -> bake -> proper look inside SP -> texture export from SP -> fbx import into max, scene build up -> texture apply -> distortion. If i will put the same model used for bake into marmoset and apply baked maps on it - the distortion is not happening. Sadly i cant do that, I need to have a proper scene built in max with all elements for helicopter present in there.

Any suggestiosn, fellows?

Replies