Home Adobe Substance

Painter Colour Pallet colour space?

StormyBA
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
Can anyone explain what kind of colour space the colour space the colour pallet lives in in painter and is there a possible way to change it into something a little bit more of an artist friendly? I'm sure it is all technically correct from a tech stand point but it does not compute well in my feeble arty farty brain. 

I'm very much used to working with colour / value in a much more linear fashion and this bad boy is totally throwing me off. I'm picking colours but it is very hard to make a call on what colours I'm actaully picking with the current system. 

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    My guess it's just raw color numbers in float point numbers  supposed to be in sRGB color space  with the renderer doing typical de-gamma linearization  of RGB color inputs   before  processing  and then applying  2,2 gamma back in the end or whatever OCIO  color transformation you set .

Imo it's pretty  usual way , simple  and fail-free

Do you want some super saturated  ACES colors  in wide gammut  color space or something?      Or maybe just same sRGB but  rather integers Photoshop style?   Honestly I never had any issues . Just picked red when I want red and so on.   Couldn't imagine a scenario where SRGB space is not enough for textures.

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Yes the picker is a weakspot in Painter. But they are working on it.
    http://feedback.substance3d.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/filters/top
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    gnoop said:

Or maybe just same sRGB but  rather integers Photoshop style?   

Pretty much this. Much more simple that allows me to think about the art side of things rather then spending time trying to cauculate what colours I'm using. 

I'd also like to work in a HSV scale that is common across software in general so its easier to translate between what I'm doing in painter and whats I'm doing else where. Its frustrating to export work and it looks totally different to what I expected
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Yeah,  I agree. I am using  Substance Designer mostly and  it does have a convenient switch.    

• poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    As gnoop says

It's like unreal, the numbers are in linear space, the values you see are srgb

It's a common complaint with our artists - which doesn't bode well for a switch to a proper color managed workflow (when allegorithmic finally make painter compatible)

It's worth pointing out that you can just look at the colour - seems obvious but it's perceptually 'normal'