Home Technical Talk

zbrush pivot question

jmg07
node
Offline / Send Message
jmg07 node
zbrush

Hi. I've watched a few online vids and read up a bit about pivots in zbrush and i still don't quite get how to reposition my model (specifically its feet) to 0,0,0. The plan is to bring it into maya to retopologise (and eventually into unreal). I'm not entirely sure how it got to this position to be honest. Is there a way to snap the pivot to the bottom/center of the subtool? (the model is a single subtool). and then move the tool to 0,0,0.. i went to the Transform menu and hit S.pivot and that centred the pivot to the subtool - although i noticed that even though the pivot's position is at the centre of the subtool, there is a bit of rotation on the gizmo. 

any links to tutorials would be great. thannks  

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    To clear the rotation, unlock the lock, hit reset orientation.
    To center the mesh to the world, under geometry>position> zero it out
    To make sure pivot is centered on the mesh, unlock the lock, hit unmasked mesh center (make sure symmetry is not on.)
    To make the pivot centered to world, unlock the lock, hit the house button.

• jmg07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmg07 node

FIxed the rotation of the pivot. Thanks.
    I did zero out the geometry->position but the values were almost zero to begin with (x was 0, but y and z were .00012)
    Got stuck with unmasked mesh center.
    I was wondering is there a second pivot on my subtool? (there is only one subtool in my project), because there looks like there is a green line at the edge of the subtool and when i click unmasked mesh center the pivot is jumping between the two green lines.

Is there an easy way to just got the bottom of a subtool to sit on the y-axis?

Thanks.
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    did you turn off symmetry? It looks like you did to me is you haven't. The pivot rest tools don't like symmetry on
  • jmg07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmg07 node

Ok sweet. That works. I thought the subtool needed to be at the 0, 0, 0 point of the "x, y, z floor" grids to come into maya in the right spot...but it looks like i'm wrong and the subtool will just come in wherever the pivot is.

Last question - is there a way in zbrush to snap the pivot to the bottom of the subtool?

thanks.