Home General Discussion

Woodworking and other real world projects

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Lot's of cool stuff in here!

@AlecMoody jeez that metalwork is awesome, stop messing about you're going to be the reason I buy a whole new set of expensive tools. And then probably burn the house down when my dumb ass tries to weld.

if you are used to doing woodwork, metal fab can be a nice change of pace. The materials are harder to shape/cut and welding itself is a skill to learn but you don't need to be nearly as precise with fit up. A 1/8" gap is no big deal and you can just fill it with weld.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 14
    Haven't been on polycount since 2017. So happy to find this thread! 

The past few years I have kind of gotten away from 3d modeling for games and such, well outside of my daily job but I have been doing scale model and prop building the last few years and picked up wood working last year. Mainly to build out my workshop for my side gigs but have found it to be really enjoyable. I am currently working on a mobile workbench for my shop for assembly and larger scale things that don't fit on my normal model shop bench. 

Will post pics when I get a chance. 
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 12
    Haven't been on polycount since 2017. So happy to find this thread! 

The past few years I have kind of gotten away from 3d modeling for games and such, well outside of my daily job but I have been doing scale model and prop building the last few years and picked up wood working last year. Mainly to build out my workshop for my side gigs but have found it to be really enjoyable. I am currently working on a mobile workbench for my shop for assembly and larger scale things that don't fit on my normal model shop bench. 

Will post pics when I get a chance. 
    Post those pics dude :D
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont said:
    Post those pics dude :D
    Here we go. I started with putting up insulation and some plywood on the walls to help clean up the garage a bit and give myself better surfaces to work with. 

Built this dog potty thinking I could get my dogs to use this instead of my grass and all over the back yard.. That was a waste of time lol 

Shelf for my paint and the lower cabinets that will go up against the wall and house my 3d printers on top, rinse and cure stations and other various uses. 

• Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah the tiki tile was printed on my large format resin printer. I'm going to make a silicone mold of it then cast a bunch of copies to help a buddy with his back yard project.

I also did some costume stuff for film/tv but I can't show that off till it is actually seen by the public.... 
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 12
    @Jesse Moody The dog potty thing is a nice idea, I think folks here would dig that as patches of grass are scarce in Japan and even more so where it's OK for a pooch to drop a deuce.

And that printer, which one is it? That size is beast!!