Home General Discussion

Woodworking and other real world projects

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Lot's of cool stuff in here!

@AlecMoody jeez that metalwork is awesome, stop messing about you're going to be the reason I buy a whole new set of expensive tools. And then probably burn the house down when my dumb ass tries to weld.

if you are used to doing woodwork, metal fab can be a nice change of pace. The materials are harder to shape/cut and welding itself is a skill to learn but you don't need to be nearly as precise with fit up. A 1/8" gap is no big deal and you can just fill it with weld.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Haven't been on polycount since 2017. So happy to find this thread! 

The past few years I have kind of gotten away from 3d modeling for games and such, well outside of my daily job but I have been doing scale model and prop building the last few years and picked up wood working last year. Mainly to build out my workshop for my side gigs but have found it to be really enjoyable. I am currently working on a mobile workbench for my shop for assembly and larger scale things that don't fit on my normal model shop bench. 

Will post pics when I get a chance. 
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Haven't been on polycount since 2017. So happy to find this thread! 

The past few years I have kind of gotten away from 3d modeling for games and such, well outside of my daily job but I have been doing scale model and prop building the last few years and picked up wood working last year. Mainly to build out my workshop for my side gigs but have found it to be really enjoyable. I am currently working on a mobile workbench for my shop for assembly and larger scale things that don't fit on my normal model shop bench. 

Will post pics when I get a chance. 
    Post those pics dude :D
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont said:
    Post those pics dude :D
    Here we go. I started with putting up insulation and some plywood on the walls to help clean up the garage a bit and give myself better surfaces to work with. 

Built this dog potty thinking I could get my dogs to use this instead of my grass and all over the back yard.. That was a waste of time lol 

Shelf for my paint and the lower cabinets that will go up against the wall and house my 3d printers on top, rinse and cure stations and other various uses. 

• Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah the tiki tile was printed on my large format resin printer. I'm going to make a silicone mold of it then cast a bunch of copies to help a buddy with his back yard project.

I also did some costume stuff for film/tv but I can't show that off till it is actually seen by the public.... 
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jesse Moody The dog potty thing is a nice idea, I think folks here would dig that as patches of grass are scarce in Japan and even more so where it's OK for a pooch to drop a deuce.

And that printer, which one is it? That size is beast!!
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont said:
    @Jesse Moody The dog potty thing is a nice idea, I think folks here would dig that as patches of grass are scarce in Japan and even more so where it's OK for a pooch to drop a deuce.

And that printer, which one is it? That size is beast!!
    The printer is the Peopoly Phenom L. This guy https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/peopoly-phenom-l-massive-format-msla-3d-printer/sk/MF0EY614
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Finally got around to learning some Arduino, electronics and programming basics over the last year or so. This little guy takes some rudimentary CSV for input (length of segment and angle of next segment) and plots all that. It doesn't have a pen up/pen down feature, but that's for later :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yobpxLgDAr4
    Input is limited to about 180 points because of the Arduino memory, but it is totally enough for the drafting of polyline outlines for sewing patterns, simple objects, and so on - the point being that the plotting area itself is unlimited :) Fun stuff :)
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    if you've not drawn a pee-pee with that you don't deserve to own it :P

also I love it!!
  • EarthQuake
    pior said:
    Finally got around to learning some Arduino, electronics and programming basics over the last year or so. This little guy takes some rudimentary CSV for input (length of segment and angle of next segment) and plots all that. It doesn't have a pen up/pen down feature, but that's for later :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yobpxLgDAr4
    Input is limited to about 180 points because of the Arduino memory, but it is totally enough for the drafting of polyline outlines for sewing patterns, simple objects, and so on - the point being that the plotting area itself is unlimited :) Fun stuff :)

ooooh this is very cool, would work well for printing large templates for woodworking too!
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake Absolutely ! That's actually one of the intended uses, as I find that drafting/porting templates to paper can really take a while and introduces a lot of inertia at the beginning of a project - be it sewing or otherwise. Whereas with this it only takes minutes to go from screen to paper, without having to split/stitch A4 sheets.

The angle rounding does build up over time though as it doesn't have any knowledge of where it is located on the surface, and therefore can't self-correct - but even an approximate draft can save quite a bit of time, especially for delicate curves.

Overall it's a really fun problem to play with. There are quite a few other ways to tackle it of course, I can't wait to dig further :)

By all means if you have a pattern (DXF) you'd like to try to plot feel free to send that over :)

And yeah @poopipe , it can absolutely draw penises :D

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Also some leather laser cutting fun :

• Lamont
    Offline / Send Message

@AlecMoody - I started welding. Stick welding for now, but still the time it took to be able to strike an arc was fun.

It opens up more things that I can make. My first plan was to make the kitchen legs using KeeKlamps. But the cost was waaaaaaaaaay beyond what I wanted to pay. So I started looking into welding and just got a nice little machine for $150 off Amazon and some PPE. I didn't have boots the first few times I was practicing. One morning a tiny spark landed on my shoes and that was that. Ordered boots that same night.

I tacked up the legs. I messed up on over welding and caused some of the feet where I would bolt the legs to the floor to bend/warp.

A shot of what things look like now. The oven is not under the stove, but I made a place for it. If you look on the third image you will see the leg is missing near that square on the floor. I made the mistake of using the blueprints and not confirming before I did the planning. That square has two functions: access under the house and storage of things in the kitchen. I had to lob off a leg and make it a triangle. That portion stands just fine.

Finally what the work environment looked like. I had to make a paint booth. Sucked that day because of the wind.

Going to weld up the cabinet frames, network rack and shoe rack.

• dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

Awesome stuff guys! Damn impressice kitchen work Lamont.

After 2 years of a table and some extra legs underneath i am finally wrapping up our desks at home. Since first planning we added Molly to our family and she really enjoys the view so we added the stairs for her.

The top needs some more sanding and then oiling but its finally getting done

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter

I got help from @R3D on making this live edge desk. Cut it, sanded it, lacquered it, and ordered a standing desk frame. Now have a desk which I'm super happy with (and protective of). Its thiccc and heavy af, and it feels so right.

• Joopson
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks man :) R3d did most of the work, I kinda just stood around and held screws and stuff hahaha. It was a learning experience for sure though, I might try and make more of my stuff more often.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yeah that slab sure looks a bit weighty, nice allround fit for purpose job 👍️

• EarthQuake

Nice slab @Ashervisalis! What kind of wood is that?

I've barely had any time to do woodworking, my wife got a job in Denver so we had to finish a bunch of renovation projects on the house and sell it, and find a new place out here. Now I'm waiting for a construction company to build a ~2 car garage-sized build in the back yard for my shop. It will be great to have a dedicated space but it might be another 6 months before I can work on projects again.

I did get a lathe though, and there are a bunch of interesting Russian olive logs in the yard, some with cool burls, that the previous owner left. I've been learning how to turn them into bowls. These are rough cut waiting to dry to the right moisture level, will do the final carving soon hopefully.

The lathe is great because I can do almost all of the work for a project on a single tool. Don't need space for the table saw, jointer, etc. No joinery or complicated stuff to think about either, just chuck a weird bit of wood on it and see what happens.

Also working on insulating and drywalling the existing garage so we'll have a nice place to park the car when all the tools can be moved to the shop. Got a big set of shelves set up and most of my hardwood stacked on it too!

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message

Cheap'ish pine with a walnut stain. My friend said it was $200 CAD for 6 feet, although I swear I remember seeing $350 on the price tag lol. Must have been alternate timelines or something.