Home General Discussion

Sketchbook threads in 3D Art Showcase and Critiques

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
ImsumDave polycounter lvl 11
Are sketchbook threads not required to be posted in the digital sketchbook subforum?

I've noticed a few sketchbooks popping up in the 3d showcase subforum, which I presume is the most viewed subforum on polycount, given activity level. While, on the other hand, the sketchbook subforum is less so. However, that allows topics to stick around near the top of the page for longer. However however I assume there are quite few people who don't and won't ever look at the sketchbook subforum.

We are all here to share our digital art, get and give feedback, see and admire others creations, and/or maybe get paid to create digital art, if that is ones goal. Visibility is king. Therefore why would anyone choose to post their sketchbook in the corresponding subforum?

Should the digital sketchbook subforum be combined into other existing subforums (admin got a free week)? It's obvious to want the visibility of the 3d showcase forum while also having the simplicity of a sketchbook thread to post something quickly.

Won't somebody think of the children?! This is anarchy! I'm asking important questions here!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    When we swap banners, we usually move past banners into the Featured Artwork section. If one of them wants their topic moved elsewhere instead, we're happy to oblige.

Besides that, it's mostly up to the artist where they want to post their work.

For ease of viewers & to help with community, Animators mostly post together in the animation section, 2D in that one, 3D in the other. But the walls are somewhat porous.

What's your worry really about though? I don't see much problem. We've found through experience that the less rules, the better, generally speaking.
  • ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick No worries. I had a look at the 3D art showcase subforum this morning and noticed about 3 sketchbook topics on the first page, and so that begged the question. There being a dedicated sketchbook subforum informs an implied rule that that is where sketchbook topics go. Upon more thought, the frequency of sketchbook threads in 3D art showcase should have given me my answer: that you guys weren't too worried. Of course the owners and operators of the forum determine what the rules are. I don't have a strong opinion either way.

There are advantages and disadvantages to posting your sketchbook in either the digital sketchbook subforum or in the subforum corresponding to your area of interest. If you post infrequently to your sketchbook, then the digital sketchbook subforum would be best, since your sketchbook won't be buried as quickly. On the other hand, if you post frequently, then 3d art showcase is better. As I said though, I don't believe the sketchbook subforum viewership is near that of 3D art showcase, so it might shake out that 3D art showcase is best either way.

With that said, could I burden you with moving my sketchbook over to the 3D art showcase subforum?
  • Eric Chadwick
    If you read the sticky in Digital Sketchbooks it explains the inception and meaning. It's a place for non project-related posts. Whereas the showcases are for topics each about a specific project. Or at least that's the overall gist.

If you're looking for attention, a specific section isn't going to solve this. You'll be wanting to post in several places that promote viralism. Facebook, Artstation, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. etc.

If you're looking for feedback and engagement, get in the habit of critiquing others, and post regular updates of your own. Share techniques and solutions. Be the vector.
  • ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick
    Thanks, all good advice! Unfortunately, I tend to be a lurker by nature. I'm non too active on social media and I acknowledge that self promotion through multiple social media services is best to get seen. This is something I should do better (or at all). I've been mulling the idea of a personal platform/webUI for crossposting to and managing posts on multiple social media sites. Such a service probably already exists somewhere on the internet.

Would it be ok if I create a new sketchbook thread in 3D art showcase, post all future updates in that thread, and more or less abandon my old sketchbook?
  • Eric Chadwick
    No worries. I'll move it for you.
  • ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick
    Thanks! Much appreciated.