Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Halo Pelican

Hello there everyone! For one of my university modules I have been tasked with uploading my progress of this project onto an online forum so I can hopefully gain so great critique and feedback to help me make this project be as good as it possibly can be!

So for this project I have been tasked with either creating a mech or a spaceship. Being a big fan of the Halo games, it did not take me long to decide on making the Pelican dropship from the games.

As part of the module assignment I have to make three basic blockouts and then choose which one to take further. So I am going to create the Halo 3, Halo Reach and take inspiration from the Halo Wars 2 condor to make a new variant of the Pelican. Once I have worked on these three blockouts I will choose which to take further as my main ship for this project.

Research
To start with I have gathered a hefty number of references from every version of the Pelican within the Halo franchise which can be seen below. I have gathered reference for both the exterior and interior of the ship as well as some blueprint designs for it too which will come in handy when blocking out the model. 

Blueprints

Exterior

Interior

Material Study

I have also gather some reference for some of the materials I can see the ship is made of.

Animation Plans

The parts of this ship which I plan to be animated is the three landing gears (One at the front and two at the back) and the door for the troop transport area. Both of the wings will be able to rotate slightly too.

To help me with the creation of this ship I broke it down into its main areas and worked out which parts are able to be duplicated with the symmetry modifier in 3ds Max.

I hope to update this thread fairly regularly over the coming weeks with screenshots of how this is coming along!

Replies

• JordanA34
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have completed the 3 variations of the blockout as required by my university course which can be seen below.

Halo Reach -

Halo 3 - 

Halo Wars 2 Condor - 

Interior -

From these 3 blockouts I have chosen to go with the Halo Reach Pelican to develop fully. I am also planning to have the full interior for it too. I hope to update this thread a bit more regularly with the progress of the high poly.