Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Fantasy Forest & Autumn Cabin

Hi everyone! I'm a self-taught 3d artist and looking for a job as a 3d environment artist. Just want to share with you my latest projects. Any feedback or critique appreciated.

Fantasy Forest

Autumn Cabin

Replies

• Ghostling
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostling polycounter lvl 3
    Nice, lighting and foliage look great. The main thing that stands out to me is that the texture for the cabin sign looks a bit too flat and plastic. Other than that looks awesome to me. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, looking cool. I agree on the cabin thing. Kinda looks a little too much like a basic cubish shape with a brick texture applied.
  • CHEU_ser2021
    Ghostling said:
    Nice, lighting and foliage look great. The main thing that stands out to me is that the texture for the cabin sign looks a bit too flat and plastic. Other than that looks awesome to me. 

Thanks for your reply! Appreciate! I'm a newbie on 3D modeling. I don't know why my cabin looks so flat after I applied the textures on it in UE4. May I ask if you were me how would you solve this problem and make the cabin looks more realistic?

• CHEU_ser2021
    Yeah, looking cool. I agree on the cabin thing. Kinda looks a little too much like a basic cubish shape with a brick texture applied.
    Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I did make this cabin in a very easy way, as you said, it just a cube. And I found I couldn't make the brick texture's looking as nice as it's in the Alchemist. Here is the texture rendering photo.

And I used the parallax occlusion mapping for the brick's height map in UE4. But it doesn't make my cabin wall looks nicer.

• Ghostling
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostling polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for your reply!
    No problem, im also trying to improve with 3D art and unreal. I was talking about the wooden "for sale" sign. I would try to make the wooden texture look less shiny and maybe add more details to the normal map.
  • jrigaldies
    Offline / Send Message
    jrigaldies polycounter lvl 2
    I would actually try to play around with differing colors of brick. But if you're set on the grey, try adding a bit of grunge or stains to the color, and as Ghostling said, more noise to the normal (may depend on the age of the cabin that you want). Also, look real world references of brick cabins and their wall textures. Many of the grey stone ones in a quick google search actually have mixed sizes - which could help break up the monotony as well. 
  • CHEU_ser2021
    I would actually try to play around with differing colors of brick. But if you're set on the grey, try adding a bit of grunge or stains to the color, and as Ghostling said, more noise to the normal (may depend on the age of the cabin that you want). Also, look real world references of brick cabins and their wall textures. Many of the grey stone ones in a quick google search actually have mixed sizes - which could help break up the monotany as well. 
    Thanks for your suggestions! Really inspiring. Yes, I suppose I should add more details to my next house asset and avoid monotony on the textures.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    One thing which might help the cabin look less boxy is adding parts to the corner. Or even something for material break up, such as a different kind of brick.