Home Technical Talk

merging subtools, then using dynamesh is causing issues with the merged mesh

jmg07
node
Offline / Send Message
jmg07 node
hi. when sculpting characters i normally sculpt the head and body separately.
when finished i'll merge the subtools down. 
to connect the pieces i'll often dynamesh the merged subtool. 
the problem i run into is that even with dynamesh set to a really high value, for the smaller parts of the mesh eg. the fingers, dynameshing
can distort the mesh.
was wondering what others do with their pipeline.
thanks 

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    what you can do is scale the subtools up and you will get denser dynamesh if you are running out of resolution. But that's not a good solution when you have things scaled correctly to realworld/ project scale.

At that stage you probably could be moving towards non dynameshed topology anyway though. I'd think about retopology/zremeshing and projecting through subdivisions instead of working in dynamesh, if it's causing problems. If you can't dynamesh and then do the retopologize, you could instead boolean the subtools to combine them, and then zremesh/retopo and avoid dynamesh from then on. So if dynamesh is collapsing things you want to remain separate, like lips too close together or epicanthic folds and it's fusing them, after all the major forms are in place with dynamesh, then start working off of a subdivision mesh from then on. imo The benfits of better edgeloop flow and ease of editing because of access to lower subdivision levels outweight dynameshing at that point 

• GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
    Can you post images before and after? it sounds like one of the objects has far more geometry then the other but cant tell withought a look :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    dynamesh is for sketching, not for final outputs really. its too dense for the detail you need, what you'd want is a clean basemesh with various subdiv levels to work with.