Home Adobe Substance

How to avoid seams when using generators of noise etc?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
I have used generators to add details to cavity and edges , but it seems to create visible seams, I could eventually remove those by exporting the texture , reimporting as color map and work out painting away the seams, but I thought that may be there is a better way to do this?

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Use triplanar projection on the noise maps.  It will help most situations

Also UV things so you can't see the seams 
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    what u mean by uv things?
    The the is al UV mapped, I used uv maps on those , I tried with triplanar but I don't get much different results.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Btw is possible to export those maps separately so that I can actually work them manually eventually reimporting as color maps?

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I mean don't put seams in visible places. 

You can export the masks but it's silly. Fix the seams in painter by adding a paint above the grunge if triplanar projection isn't working for you
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    NAIMA said:
    what u mean by uv things?
    The the is al UV mapped, I used uv maps on those , I tried with triplanar but I don't get much different results.

say you work on clothing. put the UV seams where the actual seams of the tailoring are. if you have hard surface do them at the angles not through clean surfaces etc. on a head, inside the lips, inside the eyelids, behind the ears, on the back of the head that covered by hair usually
    you can't always avoid placing seams on visible surfaces, but you can plan your meshes with the UVs in mind, build the basemesh, highpoly and retopo with seam placement in mind.

Each step builds on the step before, plan ahead accordingly and if you are working in a pipeline, think of the guys after you :)

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    another option is using a smudge layer set to pass through, it's non destructive and you basically smudge over the seams. so it sorta doesnt even matter if you update the noises underneath, it will do the smudges after.