Home Marmoset

Marmoset 4 crash on render turntable

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
KODA polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone!
Someone has any idea why Marmoset would crash every time I want to capture my turntable, actually, it does the same when I try to render pictures.
Could it be a hardware issue? Graphic card's been changed recently. Ram is 8Gb. 
I tried to reinstall but nothing so trying my luck here. 
Thanks!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, can you make sure you're using 4.02? You can check the version number in Help > About, it should be 4.02 (4020).

If you're already on 4.02, can you tell me the following:
    1. Which operating system
    2. Which GPU
    3. Which GPU driver version, if not the latest try updating
    4. Does this happen in every scene or only specific scenes? If you go to the library window and open one of the example scenes and try to render it, does it still crash?

Thanks
  • KODA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KODA polycounter lvl 3
    Hi EarthQuake! 
    Thank you so much for your message!
    Yes I'm on 4.02.
    OS is Win 10,,
    GPU is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 , driver up to date.
    I followed your advice and tried with another scene from the library but same business  :/

• Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi guys,

Just adding my two cents to this : I've encountered crashes with renders at 4096px x 1756px and turning down value helped avoiding it

Before MT4, I was able to render huge images (more than 20K wide) without crashes, now it seems temporarily impossible since it crashes at only 4K renders.

I'm also on 4.02, on a 2080RTX, latest win 10 & nVidia driver build

Hope this helps (just in case this bug is not a problem for me, I can keep working on my stuff =)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KODA said:
    Hi EarthQuake! 
    Thank you so much for your message!
    Yes I'm on 4.02.
    OS is Win 10,,
    GPU is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 , driver up to date.
    I followed your advice and tried with another scene from the library but same business  :/

Okay, thanks for the information. Another thing to try would be to make sure the latest Windows Updates are installed.

For the GPU drivers, are you using the game ready drivers or the studio drivers? Try the game ready ones if you're not using those.

Lastly, could you send me your log.txt file after Toolbag crashes? You can find it in C:\Users\<computername>\AppData\Local\Marmoset Toolbag 4

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 said:
    Hi guys,

Just adding my two cents to this : I've encountered crashes with renders at 4096px x 1756px and turning down value helped avoiding it

Before MT4, I was able to render huge images (more than 20K wide) without crashes, now it seems temporarily impossible since it crashes at only 4K renders.

I'm also on 4.02, on a 2080RTX, latest win 10 & nVidia driver build

Hope this helps (just in case this bug is not a problem for me, I can keep working on my stuff =)
    Thanks for the report, 4096x1756 rendering appears to be working correctly on my end. Can you provide some more details about the problem:

• Are you seeing a crash in all scenes when rendering at 4096x1756, or only in specific scenes?
    • Do you experience a crash with ray tracing on, off, or both?

Toolbag 4 generally requires more video memory than previous versions, especially when using ray tracing. The ray tracer builds an acceleration structure, which is a simplified copy of the scene that is used to quickly cast rays. Depending on scene complexity/geometric detail, this can require a significant amount of video memory. Running out of video memory can cause instability and possibly crashing in some cases. Try to close any VRAM-hungry applications when rendering in Toolbag, other content creation or 3D applications in particular, but even web browsers can eat up a good chunk of VRAM if you have many tabs open.

The RTX backend is faster but requires more VRAM as well. So if you're running into VRAM or stability issues with complex scenes or high resolution renders, you can try going to Edit > Preferences > GPU > and changing Ray Tracing to Generic. This will require an application restart to take effect.