Home Career & Education

Full time 'in house' + freelance contracts ?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
another caveman greentooth
Hi,

I'd love to start out with freelancing while still working for a studio full time. Anyone doing this? Any tips to share ?

My current employer (PC/Console AAA) comes up with these 'rules' making it I can't earn more than 30% of what I make from working for them, on side-gigs. (making it absolutely useless for me to freelance in these terms).

I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to do this here (Canada), and can't even really apply it as it would mean go through my taxes report. Probably a move to assure exclusivity over their employees. I can't really fight against such giants. I did try, and talked to as many HR / directors they could make me. They're just making me wait till I stop asking, or give me unrelated, nonsense answers, etc.
If I don't say anything and take freelance gigs, I'm pretty sure they could legally bug me about it for competition, with good lawyers, whatever the nature of the work was. I know probably nothing would happen if I were to take one ! But knowing they potentially could is quite annoying.

Any advices? Any known AAA studios that don't care over what their employees do on their free time?
Intermediary sized like 'AA productions' seem like a good fit for this, maybe.
Thanks

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    DIfferent studios have different rules. Volition allows it so long as it isn't for a direct competitor (so, another open world urban game). Other places are more restrictive.

I've done only a tiny amount of freelance art work, but I do make a few hundred dollars a month tutoring art students and aspiring professionals.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say go for it. What's the worst they could do... fire you, and take all your freelance moneys? Screw em.

Think about their side of the equation though. Why would they ask this? Sounds to me like they simply want to prevent you from burnout. People need to rest, there's a reason for the 40 hour workweek.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would be weary of burnout, but how would they ever know if you are making 30% or 200%? its not like they can legally access your finances, or would ever spend the money pursing it. they only way they know when people are doing freelance on the side is when they cant keep it to themselves about a big payday or huge project they are contracting on. 

just be discreet and keep it to yourself and you will be fine. 
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Meloncov said:
    DIfferent studios have different rules. Volition allows it so long as it isn't for a direct competitor (so, another open world urban game). Other places are more restrictive.

I've done only a tiny amount of freelance art work, but I do make a few hundred dollars a month tutoring art students and aspiring professionals.
    Nice way to supplement your income !
    Indeed, as long as it's not competition (we) should be alright. In my case, a lawyer who would like to  bug me would have a lot of opportunities, as the company worldwide has many productions ongoing, and a wide range of games shipped in the past. If it was about revenue competition, I'd be safe. :#
    I'd say go for it. What's the worst they could do... fire you, and take all your freelance moneys? Screw em.

Think about their side of the equation though. Why would they ask this? Sounds to me like they simply want to prevent you from burnout. People need to rest, there's a reason for the 40 hour workweek.
    The worst is sue me, I guess. ^

I would be weary of burnout, but how would they ever know if you are making 30% or 200%? its not like they can legally access your finances, or would ever spend the money pursing it. they only way they know when people are doing freelance on the side is when they cant keep it to themselves about a big payday or huge project they are contracting on. 

That's also a point, they can not know my revenues unless they go checking my tax report. So it really is a rule to ' scare ' you, I think, it's not even in the contract, just on the company rules.

That is what I'm being recommended to do a lot. But knowing I could be sued isn't very pleasant.

Thanks for your time good sirs :)