Home Marmoset

ToolBag 3.0 Importing fbx with baked animation

Hello, I seem have an issue with marmoset while importing an fbx with baked animations. Working on a character model and wanted to have animated sequences to help show the model off. Unfortunately the animation doesn't seem to match the animation from the other program where I exported. At first I assumed the issue was because there was something wrong with the baking process but fbx animation loads fine in both 3ds max and maya. The scene in marmoset looks like a skinning issue as verts seem to pull by incorrect influences. 
I'm not sure why this is happening but I can't seem to find a work around. 

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please email support@marmoset.co with a description of the problem and this mesh file and we'll look into it. Thanks
  • Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    @mmccarthy4 as far as I know, toolbag can fail to read animated files since 3.04 so I'd suggest using the 3.03 if your file gets issued with incorrect vertex skinning and/or wrong joint scale interpretation.

That said, 3.03 didn't allow us to export animated viewers, and doesn't has RTX of course which has a big impact on the final render compared to what MT4 is capable of (that said, MT4 will also have the same skinweight/scale issues)
  • mmccarthy4
  • mmccarthy4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vexod14 That seems disappointing I was hoping to upgrade to 4 soon.  
  • Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    @mmccarthy4 honestly it's definitely worth jumping in MT4, appart from this anim import bug, which is a long-time-survivor (here since 3.04), marmoset is a fantastic software in many..many...many aspects. RTX really lifts up the rendering level and allow for very large scene to be rendered with precision and consistency. I'm pretty sure the dev team will fix the fbx import issue one day and once it will come I don't think marmoset 3 will benefit of it (seems logic to me, even if it would be gentle for toolbag 3 users) =)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 said:
    @mmccarthy4 honestly it's definitely worth jumping in MT4, appart from this anim import bug, which is a long-time-survivor (here since 3.04), marmoset is a fantastic software in many..many...many aspects. RTX really lifts up the rendering level and allow for very large scene to be rendered with precision and consistency. I'm pretty sure the dev team will fix the fbx import issue one day and once it will come I don't think marmoset 3 will benefit of it (seems logic to me, even if it would be gentle for toolbag 3 users) =)
    I think we'll have this one fixed for the next build. It was difficult to track down and was related to a change we made to fix some other animation issues. Unfortunately, reverting that change would have broken other, more common cases, so there wasn't an easy fix for it. But we think we have a solution and this is going through testing now.

The non-uniform scale issue is somewhat obscure though, so it's probably not related to the OP's issue. But if the joint in question has a non-uniform scale on it, that would be a good clue.
  • Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    The non-uniform scale issue is somewhat obscure though, so it's probably not related to the OP's issue. But if the joint in question has a non-uniform scale on it, that would be a good clue.
    Glad to hear it's coming ! I can't wait to make a good use of it ♥

About non-uniform scale I've just sent an e-mail tu support with issued FBX (simple hierarchy to isolate quickly the problem).

Thanks for your great support @EarthQuake , it's truly appreciated !
  • mmccarthy4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake congrats on the release of 4.03 did you guy manage to release with this fix like you were planning?