Home Unreal Engine

Unreal decals issue - roughness messes up lighting.

triangle
Hi!

I'm quite new to making environments with unreal. I'm trying to create an abandoned asylum room scene, and I´m trying to acheive a symilar look to the one of the walls from the following picture:

This kind of flaked paint look would be something I would like to achieve, and one possible solution which I'm trying is using decals. I´m just trying out different techniques, when I use the "dbuffer translucent color, normal" decal blend mode it looks "good" as in the following picture.

But as soon as I change it to "dbuffer translucent color, roughness, normal" the colors of my material change and it looks like this:

Any ideas on what's going on? also any alternative solutions on how to achieve the look I'm aming for would be appreciated.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Looking at the buffer visualizations would help you identify the root of the problem. You probably have different roughness on the decal from what you have on the wall.
  • Jean_Pierre_Varg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean_Pierre_Varg triangle
    Obscura said:
    Looking at the buffer visualizations would help you identify the root of the problem. You probably have different roughness on the decal from what you have on the wall.
    Hi Obscura!

Thanks so much for your reply. I just checked the roughness visualizarion mode, this is how it currently looks with the same effect on the final image as the one I previosly show. They are not a 100% roughness match in value but I don´t understand why is it causing such an extreme effect!
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting. I'll try to reproduce this with a similar setup.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its not happening to me. Can you show the material setup of the decal?
  • Jean_Pierre_Varg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    Its not happening to me. Can you show the material setup of the decal?
    Thanks obscura, here it is. it´s quite simple, I'm really not sure what's going on...

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The material setup seems to be appropriate. I can take a look at the project if you want. If you don't want to share a link to it here, feel free to dm me. Unfortunately at this point, I would be shooting in the dark otherwise.
  • Jean_Pierre_Varg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I´ve finally found the solution.

I switched off the srgb option on my texture properties and now it´s solved, because no matter what changes I did to the decal material it wasn´t displaying the proper values of my roughness texture. The buffer visualisation modes have been really helpful sorting this one out.

Thanks so much obscura for your help!! I