Home General Discussion

Experience with germanys Alternate.de? Worst customer Service EVER!

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx ngon master
Hey, my fellow Germans.

In September of 2019, I bought a GPU From Alternate.de.
A Sapphire RX 5700 XT pulse.

Sapphire offers 2 years of VGA guarantee.
And my card almost a year after I bought it, started to have really big issues, with gaming, streaming, working (UE4, Unity, Substance, and so on).

So I contacted Alterante.de telling them about my issue, which apparently many others all over the internet (same card) were having.
They told me to send in the card and if after 4 weeks, no status update was giving, I could write.

So I did. Asking them what's happening with my card and where it was on the progress.
Were Alternate responded to me, that they offer me 322 euro (i bought it for almost 500) for used hardware? Now, to clarify, I was not asking for a return of the card, my card is not properly working, I want an exchange or my full money back.

The answer was, "Have more patience". This was the 8th of January, It's now officially been over 12 weeks of waiting for something new to happen. But nothing, not one word from them. I contacted Sapphire, who said that the issue lies with Alternate and they should make the choice.

Me as a customer, I'm in limbo. No card, no money, no exchange. And I'm losing time and money on waiting. Cause this is what I do for a living, 3D. The home office has been hell, My boss borrowed me an older GPU. But it's so much slower than my older GPU was. He's an angel for being so fast to get stuff for our team, but this is honestly pissing me off that I can't do proper work. And no update at all from them.

Please guys, I really need help with this one =(

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure how things work in Germany, but it seems odd that you would contact the retailer, and even more odd that they would tell you to send the card back to them (they likely don't have the ability to repair it). Here in the US, if you had a problem with a product after a year (beyond the typical 30 day return period), you would contact the manufacturer (Sapphire) about warranty service, send them the card, and they would fix it or send a replacement. But perhaps this is the normal practice in Germany?

It makes sense that Sapphire can't do anything for you, since you don't currently have the card to send to them. If Alternate sends the card back to you without repairing or replacing it, you should be able to send it to Sapphire and I imagine they will be able to solve the problem. You may want to simply ask Alternate to send the card back to you so you can do that.

In any case, since this is how you earn a living and it is affecting your productivity, you should buy a new card in the meantime, and then sell the old card if/when you get it fixed or replaced.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    I'm not sure how things work in Germany, but it seems odd that you would contact the retailer, and even more odd that they would tell you to send the card back to them (they likely don't have the ability to repair it). Here in the US, if you had a problem with a product after a year (beyond the typical 30 day return period), you would contact the manufacturer (Sapphire) about warranty service, send them the card, and they would fix it or send a replacement. But perhaps this is the normal practice in Germany?

It makes sense that Sapphire can't do anything for you, since you don't currently have the card to send to them. If Alternate sends the card back to you without repairing or replacing it, you should be able to send it to Sapphire and I imagine they will be able to solve the problem. You may want to simply ask Alternate to send the card back to you so you can do that.

In any case, since this is how you earn a living and it is affecting your productivity, you should buy a new card in the meantime, and then sell the old card if/when you get it fixed or replaced.

Hey @Ear@EarthQuake, In my second mail (1 month ago) I actually asked them if they could send my card back to me so I could take it to Sapphire myself. And they did not reply. This is what got me confused. My cousin who's a lawyer basically asked me to ask them politely to send the card back. Which I Did, still no answer. And I've read so many reviews in the past weeks, where people are experiencing the same problem/Issue. Some of the critics/reviews are mentioning that Alternate also is not sending their products (RMA Or not) back.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:

Hey @Ear@EarthQuake, In my second mail (1 month ago) I actually asked them if they could send my card back to me so I could take it to Sapphire myself. And they did not reply. This is what got me confused. My cousin who's a lawyer basically asked me to ask them politely to send the card back. Which I Did, still no answer. And I've read so many reviews in the past weeks, where people are experiencing the same problem/Issue. Some of the critics/reviews are mentioning that Alternate also is not sending their products (RMA Or not) back.
    That's unfortunate, maybe try an angry email this time? Or try to see if you can call and talk to a person live? You could try reaching out on a public platform like Twitter or Facebook too - not sure if that would work but it's worth a try.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Do you perhaps live in Germany, if so you need to write a more angry mail and demand that they return your card to you. Sadly you cant count on the retailers and you have to do a RMA request with the manufacturer. I bought a 780Ti in 2014 from a Dutch retailer, card broke after a year so I requested a RMA on the manufacturers website, I got a new card a week later. Personally I heard a lot of stories about retailers  forgetting about their customers. I would recommend to write a angry email and  in case you live in Germany, make a threat that you will take this up with authorities, retailers hate these kind of inconveniences and tend to resolve issues faster when threatened with police.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Zi0 said:
    Do you perhaps live in Germany, if so you need to write a more angry mail and demand that they return your card to you. Sadly you cant count on the retailers and you have to do a RMA request with the manufacturer. I bought a 780Ti in 2014 from a Dutch retailer, card broke after a year so I requested a RMA on the manufacturers website, I got a new card a week later. Personally I heard a lot of stories about retailers  forgetting about their customers. I would recommend to write a angry email and  in case you live in Germany, make a threat that you will take this up with authorities, retailers hate these kind of inconveniences and tend to resolve issues faster when threatened with police.

Did write such a letter yesterday, my patience ran over. I feel sorry for the person seeing the letter and it's more towards the company than the person himself/herself. But I've never experienced such a bad service.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    So the response from Alternate came. They're offering me 260 euro for a card that i bought for 469 euro.
    A Card that stopped working with guaranti still activated. Sapphire who's the manufacturer of the card are not doing anything about the situation.

Even after asking to have my card back. They're not sending it back. Instead they're offering this shame sum. Wow, don't know what to say. I'm cooking here.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    wtf. well sapphire can't do shit without having your card. so you certainly need to get it back. It is your property after all and if they are not able to handle it, you will take carr of that with the manufacturer.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Neox said:
    wtf. well sapphire can't do shit without having your card. so you certainly need to get it back. It is your property after all and if they are not able to handle it, you will take carr of that with the manufacturer.
    Thank you, I'll try!

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    They just offered me 260 euro (less than what they wanted to give me at the start for a broken GPU). They're handling everything as if it's a "used" product and not broken.

However I spoke with a friend who told me, they have no right to keep your GPU. Ask for it back. Which I did. According to him, they will pay a small sum back but send my GPU Back too. If this does not happen I need to come in contact with lawyers.

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    They probably have better lawyers than you because they have more money, so at this point I would consider just letting this go. This is a 400$ videocard, I don't think it worth the hassle. You could end up paying more for the lawyer and not winning anything at the end. It isn't rare that lawyers asks for around 100 euro per hour so...This kind of stuff also tends to take months.

I may be a bit pessimist but 260 euro is better than zero.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Obscura said:
    They probably have better lawyers than you because they have more money, so at this point I would consider just letting this go. This is a 400$ videocard, I don't think it worth the hassle. You could end up paying more for the lawyer and not winning anything at the end. It isn't rare that lawyers asks for around 100 euro per hour so...This kind of stuff also tends to take months.

I may be a bit pessimist but 260 euro is better than zero.

Also true, bothers me that they don't follow the warranty. Can't buy a new card for a long time now, have a daughter, and my wife's parents both got fired during the pandemic (the state have still not decided if they are going to pay them or not, so they're living with us). Meaning that I'm paying for 4 grown-ups and one child! It's a hardcore moment as of now :D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    wirrexx said:
    They just offered me 260 euro (less than what they wanted to give me at the start for a broken GPU). They're handling everything as if it's a "used" product and not broken.

However I spoke with a friend who told me, they have no right to keep your GPU. Ask for it back. Which I did. According to him, they will pay a small sum back but send my GPU Back too. If this does not happen I need to come in contact with lawyers.

holy fuck... it is your property. they should return it to you

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Neox said:
    wirrexx said:

holy fuck... it is your property. they should return it to you

yeah, that's what my cousins here in Germany said. But nothing so far. No word, they have written "abgeschlossen" but not that I get anything back. nothing.. funny. But hey, @Obscura is right. Can't do anything.

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    I refrained from posting so far since I know fuck all about Germany's consumer protection laws but I seriously advise you to thoroughly read it before giving up. I'd be shocked if it doesn't have any provisions protecting the consumer from situations such as this one where a company is basically holding your property for ransom. Germany is a country you can look up to in many fronts besides being famous for its bureaucracy, a glaring loophole like this is very surprising.

To give you context I live in a country outside the EU/US/AU that's called from "emerging economy" to "shithole" depending on who you ask. When I went through a similar situation in which my laptop died twice while still in warranty I was offered the money I paid (3 years before) or an out-of-stock model. The first option would not pay for an equivalent laptop then, the second one was almost the same build but had just the 3 months warranty mandated by law. That's lower than the RMA extension and I certainly did not trust their products by then. They dragged their feet then eventually asked me to RMA it a second time. They provided the posting code and handled everything, being the ones responsible for sorting out the postal insurance, if any.

The laptop was lost on the way.

They still dragged their feet to reply. I had to pass over projects while using a piss-poor replacement, including an offer by an AAA company. Boy, I was pissed. I sued and as soon they were cited they settled for the cost of the original laptop adjusted for inflation + damages (due the loss of income in the meantime). After the lawyer got his share there was still enough to buy an upgraded PC version of that build.

I don't know how solid are consumer laws in Germany but they might be good enough it doesn't matter if the company has more money than you, with receipts in hand if it comes to the courts they'll want to cut the losses because they know they'll lose. My case was different because the retailer was also the manufacturer (thus retailer and manufacturer warranties coincided; that may not be always the case here), but that little detail in which they're refusing to return your card? That's absurd. As if jeopardizing your income wasn't bad enough!
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    @birb Update on the matter!

Alternate.de are refusing to answer my email, they "forcingly" wrote a check on 260 euro for an RMA product, without sending my stuff back (my own property) and without answering me. So their new tactic is to ignore me as a customer.

So based on their approach, I'm not getting through!
    I feel like both  Sapphire as a company and alternate.de as a website are two-piece of shit companies that will not follow through on the laws.
    They have officially sent me a check on 260 euros, saying that the GPU is RMA, so that somehow is proof that the GPU is gone.
    It pisses me so much off that I lost 469 Euros on a GPU with a warranty that apparently is having so many issues for many other users.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    what in the actual fuck

where are you located? there should be some customer rights association (Verbrauchershutzzentrale) in your city.
    i don't know exactly how they work, but the ones for tennants of apartments have lawyers helping them for a little yearly fee.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Neox said:
    what in the actual fuck

where are you located? there should be some customer rights association (Verbrauchershutzzentrale) in your city.
    i don't know exactly how they work, but the ones for tennants of apartments have lawyers helping them for a little yearly fee.
    Yeah, I'll second that...those shits!

wirrexx, at bare minimum you have rights as a consumer, at least contact the relevant agency in your region.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Neox said:
    what in the actual fuck

Hey Neox, I've been told by more people to contact Verbrauchershutzzentrale. Some say for better and some for worse, but that's my next step! Thank you guys!
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    sacboi said:
    Neox said:
    what in the actual fuck

Yeah, I'll second that...those shits!

wirrexx, at bare minimum you have rights as a consumer, at least contact the relevant agency in your region.
    Third that! What the hell. The first step of agreeing to an RMA is agreeing. I may be talking shit but it sounds outrageous they would choose for you—besides not paying the purchasing price.

Try an association or at least this, a General Conciliation Body. Inferring from the little information on their site they can handle or at least inform you better in this sort of cross-border issues; and the retailer was supposed to refund you the full price. There's a situation in which it can be less, but it's a bit unspecific in English and sounds like something happening on a case basis. Seriously, get in touch with them. They'll know more about your rights and redirect you to the proper agency. I know it's upsetting and depressing, but don't let those assholes off the hook, take good care of yourself.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I have to say I had just good experiences with them yet. They once returned a GPU which died a few weeks after buying. I then choose another model. Similar story with some RAM too which then was send around the world and back but still I got a new one.
    So I guess it depends.

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    rollin said:
    I have to say I had just good experiences with them yet. They once returned a GPU which died a few weeks after buying. I then choose another model. Similar story with some RAM too which then was send around the world and back but still I got a new one.
    So I guess it depends.

@rollin depends on what if I may ask?
    They've already confirmed that my GPU is RMA. They've also held on to it for more than (what's now 12 weeks).
    They're offering me 260 euros for a piece that they've confirmed not working (during warranty time) that costs 469, which by the way has gone up to 600 euros.

Depends on who handles the situation? Does it depend on where I live?
    Wrong is wrong, they are bending the warranty rules to their liking. I do understand that there are no GPUs to get anywhere, therefore I'm not asking for a new one. Simply replace mine if possible be. If that's not possible, a refund is the only way.

Now mind you, they state on their website that it can take up to 4 weeks for them to be finished with the entire thing. But it's been 12 weeks. Also, they are keeping my property and force refunding me less than 50% of what I paid. I've multiple times asked them to send my GPU back, I don't need any refund, if they are having a hard time doing anything, and I'll send it to Sapphire myself. They have not replied to that. Now they are ignoring my emails. It's not depending on the customer. ESPECIALLY NOT when Alternate also started selling PS5 and XSX way above the MSRP, because they saw scalpers getting away with it. They got many backslashes that they went back to the MSRP After there were no consoles to be bought. Now if that's not a red flag, I don't know what is =).

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Hmm, warum diskutierst Du das denn hier, wo es garantiert kein Mitarbeiter von Alternate zu sehen bekommt und nicht z.b. in deren Forum - falls vorhanden - oder z.b. ganz öffentlich und voll im Zeitgeist via Twitter-Shaming? :)

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    thomasp said:
    Hmm, warum diskutierst Du das denn hier, wo es garantiert kein Mitarbeiter von Alternate zu sehen bekommt und nicht z.b. in deren Forum - falls vorhanden - oder z.b. ganz öffentlich und voll im Zeitgeist via Twitter-Shaming? :)

@t@thomasp die frage war ob jemand mir hilfen kann.
    I'm asking if someone has been in this position with them. As they are refusing to answer me anywhere=). I'm not a big social media fan, but I've already written a big text on their Facebook about the situation, which they deleted and also on LinkedIn. Asking what others would do and could do.

But that could be a good way to go tbh.
    Maybe i need to start a twitter account.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    @thomasp I acctually took your advice and wrote them through twitter (twitter shaming) AND they freaking answered me 1000 times faster and they are looking into the whole thing!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Horray! Twitter shaming is effective.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    wirrexx said:
    @thomasp I acctually took your advice and wrote them through twitter (twitter shaming) AND they freaking answered me 1000 times faster and they are looking into the whole thing!
    That's great!

Outing a non complaint commercial issue on socials can sometimes yield productive results, fingers X'd  for ya :)
  • Zoddo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5

sounds like they already sold your GPU and are just trying to buy you off..... glad you got them to respond through social media.