Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Personal Game Dev Challenge - Day one progress report

So I wanted to sit down and show off some of the work I have done for a small project I started yesterday my plan is to see how much I can get done in around seven days to text my self allow my self to grow by doing something I've never done before - a Horror game!!! 

so as my spooky adventure starts it felt like I should start by getting the Essential assets done, mainly the arms and all of the Assets the character will hold. from there I will move on setting up the UI and hud along with how I want to design the games structure inventory wise.

the theme of the project was Winter - so I decided to take a Lovecraftian Approach. for this first week of development I want to focus on mechanics and visuals so that everything works and looks right. to eventually see what people think and move from there

my ultimate goal with this is to get opinions, gauge interest and overall learn, so I will be posting my progress as I go to see what people think.

my inspiration for this comes from games and media like firewatch, resident evil 7, outlast, The Thing, Dunwhich horror, and at the Mountains of madness

so here have some highpolys of most of the prime models only two left to do and thats the shotgun and Flare
! all of them have been retopologized and are being prepared to have textured baked, they were made in blender and zbursh.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If you are developing the entire game by yourself it's good idea to save art until the end. 

Art is contingent on many other things which will change throughout development. So it's good idea to work with placeholder items until the game is like 90% complete, then dig into finishing out the art.

If you do need ot find the look of the game early because it's important consider just building one scene that you could use to make a demo from. 

I'd also advise against making custom 3d art. It's just too time consuming. From a business perspective i odn't think any solo developer can afford the time when there is so much available already for free or cheap. Making art yourself really onlly makes sense if you aim to build those skills to get a job. 
    The skills come in handy if you need to customize things or occassionally make a model you can't easily acquire, but stuff like generic props and characters - there is just so much already out there it doesn't make sense to spend a day sculpting hands and axes. 

Just my opinion of course/
  • DEVgenesis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex_J i totally get what you mean its good advice! but in this context im going for something different my main goal is to see how much of a game i can make my self manly assets and gameplay wise its more of a test for my self as a 3D artist how well i can do in making somthing looking with my one two hands. 

i do appreciate the advise though its a good solid idea and methodology i have used something like that approach in the past when making small little games but this is to test my Efficiency and abilities i know i will not get it all complete but i want to see how much i can and go from there basically it, once this week is over i can sit down and go about my usual methods if i feel like doing more and continuing