Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

D.Va Chest

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
kateblacks polycounter lvl 4
I completed this yesterday after working on it for almost two months in my spare time. First time doing hard-surface in a long time (at least over a year or two). Pretty proud of it! Original concept is by Daria Miyako (with her permission). Her work is here. I shared this on my ArtStation as well here.

I rendered this in Marmoset using 2048x2048 texture maps: 1 albedo, 1 roughness, 1 metallic, 1 AO, and 1 normal. Textured both in Painter and Photoshop and modeled in Max. Thanks for checking it out! 

Original Concept by Daria Miyako (link to portfolio is above):

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I like  it.  Only thing I could think off, immedaitely, is that more edges could stand to be beveled, as the game artists  have repeatedly cited it as a thing they do constantly to their art.  Also needs more wear and tear like it does in the concept.

This has personality, clear reminder of who owns the chest, gj.
  • kateblacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kateblacks polycounter lvl 4
    I like  it.  Only thing I could think off, immedaitely, is that more edges could stand to be beveled, as the game artists  have repeatedly cited it as a thing they do constantly to their art.  Also needs more wear and tear like it does in the concept.

This has personality, clear reminder of who owns the chest, gj.
    Yeah, that's fair. I didn't feel it needed bevels after I baked it because of smoothing groups, but it probably could've helped in some spots. I decided to not make it as grungy as the concept, I'm pretty content with it being different in that respect - One day I'll have the skills to be able match that grunge. Thanks for the feedback! 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You should poke @Lucas Annunziata  and see what he thinks.  He gave me some great feedback a couple months back (of which I need to still do ><)