Home General Discussion

Hardware help

node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
JamieGumb1 node
Hello everyone! I’m a beginner to everything here but definitely want to try my hand at modeling; mainly terrain and architecture. Also, I’d like to do programming. Does anyone know a very good computer that will run the programs with ease and is affordable? Thank you!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are extensive resources in this thread: https://polycount.com/discussion/173350/upgrading-or-building-a-new-pc-this-is-the-thread-for-you/p1

https://www.logicalincrements.com/ is a very good site to check too.

Generally speaking, if you're willing to build your own desktop PC, you can get a good system for $1000-1500. Both of the links above detail systems up to $3500 or so but these are extreme overkill for most people.

If you're looking to buy a desktop PC, you'll probably spend a little more for a comparable system. A laptop will cost you yet more for comparable specs and come with some notable drawbacks (poor heat management, poor battery life) if you want a beefy one with a good GPU suitable for 3D work. So laptops are only recommended for 3D work if you travel daily and need to be mobile.
  • JamieGumb1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieGumb1 node
    Much appreciated, man! I’ve looked into the Predator Helio 300... have you heard anything about it? People say it’s really good for the price 🤷‍♂️
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much appreciated, man! I’ve looked into the Predator Helio 300... have you heard anything about it? People say it’s really good for the price 🤷‍♂️
    I have not heard anything about this particular laptop. Generally speaking, Windows-based laptops from makers like Asus, Acer, etc tend to have relatively bad build quality. If buying a non-Mac laptop I would expect to have to replace it within 3 years. (Not that I would recommend a Macbook for 3D work, but they last much longer in my experience.)

I know a few people who have some version of the Razer Blade and they're generally happy with those laptops. Again the build quality is a few steps down from something like a Macbook though, so I'm not sure how long I would expect it to last.

Is there a specific reason you're looking for a laptop rather than a desktop for 3D work?
  • JamieGumb1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieGumb1 node
    I thought it may be handier on the move 🤷‍♂️ I could bring it with me anywhere and anytime I wanted to show my work or if I didn’t want to sit at a desk all the time.... I know it’s cheaper and better for a desktop, but I was just figuring portability... what do you think?
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I think the work anywhere, anytime aspect of a laptop seems appealing, but is rarely practical. The idea of posting up in a coffee shop or pub and doing some work sounds nice, but often there are distractions and limited physical space to contend with. 

It won't be long before you're missing larger / multiple monitors or the ability easily replace / upgrade components. A desktop also forces you to carve out a dedicated workspace at home. It's nice to have a space that shifts you into gear for learning and working on stuff. Also nice to be able to leave that space when it's time to relax or focus on other things. 

There are times when lifestyle makes a laptop the better choice. Does your living situation afford little to no space to setup a desk / work area? Are you spending a lot of time commuting on a train everyday? Do you plan on moving a lot over the next few years? If not, I'd definitely recommend getting more bang for your buck with a desktop. 
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I thought it may be handier on the move 🤷‍♂️ I could bring it with me anywhere and anytime I wanted to show my work or if I didn’t want to sit at a desk all the time.... I know it’s cheaper and better for a desktop, but I was just figuring portability... what do you think?
    In my opinion depends on usage, in terms of a handy secondary or indeed possible backup primary device which as mentioned earlier up-thread highlighting an important aspect I think worth keeping in mind, is affordability so therein if you've the moneys too spend/spare?! then by all means go for it.

On a side note there are artists posting work on this forum utilizing consumer laptops to create for example complex 3D environments, in one recent project using just a Lenovo Yoga 730 (hybrid) too generate an entire village street scene.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I bought an expensive laptop early in my career for the exact same reasons. It sounds awesome to be able to work anywhere, but in reality it's not very practical. Battery life is super short, so you will need to bring a cord if you intend to work for more than 45 minutes. Performance is not the same, probably due to heat restrictions. Having two monitors is a must to do anything complicated. For all these reasons, I ended up leaving my laptop at my desk and working there.
  • JamieGumb1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieGumb1 node
    Love the advice. I’ll definitely look into a desktop too. Although I do live in a limited space, I could make just enough room for one. I do like the idea of 2 monitors for a desktop and the battery life thing and the overheating.... didn’t think about that.  I do need something powerful and affordable as I want to make fairly big worlds/levels at some point....
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard said: For all these reasons, I ended up leaving my laptop at my desk and working there.

^ Truly the worst of both worlds.

Anyway, yeah as others have said, the dream of working on a laptop and the reality rarely line up. In addition to what has been mentioned, working on a laptop for an extended amount of time is an ergonomic nightmare, and to make it suck less, you basically have to put together a standard workstation environment anyway. In my mind the cost aspect is secondary, once you buy a PC and the required components, the cost will probably be about the same, maybe a little more expensive with the PC system, but there are major advantages if you're doing the majority of use at your home, and again, it's likely to last longer, so it tends to be a better long term investment even if the upfront cost is similar or a little more, as many components will stick around with you through multiple PC builds (case, power supply, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc, assuming you buy quality ones to start with).

So I would say, unless you plan to use the machine at least 50% while commuting, or physically can not put together a workstation space where you live, save yourself the heartache and get a good desktop pc, desk, comfortable chair, good mouse and keyboard, and 2 monitors (or one ultrawide if space is limited) - then, when your budget allows, get a basic laptop or even a tablet for when you need to be mobile. 

Getting a laptop for the rare occasion that you need to work on the go, or show someone something in person is what I would call optimizing for edge cases, in other words prioritizing the rare cases over common, everyday use.

• JamieGumb1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieGumb1 node
    Thank you. You guys are definitely selling me on the desktop idea. Which does sound like the best option, really.... I’ll do my research on them and get back here with the one I think fits and see what you guys think, ok? Thank you for the advice and I can probably make some room for the desktop with a monitor that is extra wide... any budget friendly advice would help too 👍
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. You guys are definitely selling me on the desktop idea. Which does sound like the best option, really.... I’ll do my research on them and get back here with the one I think fits and see what you guys think, ok? Thank you for the advice and I can probably make some room for the desktop with a monitor that is extra wide... any budget friendly advice would help too 👍
    For monitors, if you're going for a single ultrawide you want to look at something 3440x1440p (similar screen real-estate as two monitors), with an IPS display (better colors and viewing angles vs TN).

These all have similar specs, for an ultrawide, I would probably go with curved but you'll pay a little more for a more recognized brand like LG or Samsung vs something from Monoprice. I haven't used a Monoprice monitor but I know others on Polycount have - generally speaking they use the same panels as other brands (only a few companies make monitor panels, LG and Samsung being two of the biggest), so with something like Monoprice you're generally just getting a very barebones design/stand, not necessarily an inferior panel.

For the PC build itself, you can save a good deal of money by making sure you're not buying excessively high-end components, ie:
    • Get a high-value but mid-range CPU, ie: Ryzen 5 3600 ($200)
    • Get a mid-range GPU, ie: RTX 2060 or 3060
    • Get a micro-ATX motherboard that only has features you'll actually need (skip the SLI, overclocking features, etc), shoot for $150 or less
    • Don't get a crazy (800w or more) power supply that has more wattage than you need
    • Don't spend a lot on the case ($50-100)
    • Start with 16GB ram, add more later if need be, though bumping to 32GB will not cost that much more

Here's an example build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M7kXp2 - $1349 total. GPU prices are insane right now (if you can get a 3060 Ti at the normal price, drop $220 off the total). So I would wait for that to calm down before buying one if you can. You might be able to buy a pre-built system for similar or even less money if you shop around, simply because of how hard it is to buy GPUs at retail pricing.

Here's a similarly spec'd pre-built system if you don't want to build it yourself: https://www.amazon.com/Skytech-Shadow-3-0-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B08R45ZC6Q/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rtx+3060&qid=1613168461&s=electronics&sr=1-4 - though this likely has components from less reputable brands in it (in my example build, I tried to pick part from well-known, reliable brands).

So all in you're looking at the $1800 range for PC + monitor. You can cut that down further by getting a lower-end GPU (or waiting for GPU prices to stabilize), or a less expensive monitor (add a second screen later?). By doing one or both you may be able to cut a couple hundred or more.

There's not much else that you would want to cut significantly, though you could go with a 500GB rather than 1TB SSD, a slightly less expensive CPU (probably not worth it, $200 is a great price for the Ryzen 3600), slightly cheaper PSU, all in all, that might add up to a savings of $100-150. These are the last things I would try to skimp on though.

Then don't forget (if you don't already have them): mouse, keyboard, speakers/headphones, surge protector, and maybe a drawing tablet if you plan to do a lot of 2D work or sculpting. Wacom makes some inexpensive small tablets, ($100 or less) and Huion makes some even cheaper ones ($50-ish).
  • JamieGumb1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieGumb1 node
    Wow, brother! You truly gave me a heck of a rundown to look into! 🕺🏻👍 thank you so much for your time and info! Let me look into this and I’ll respond more appropriately. Looking like a bit of studying to do 👍