Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lowpoly Beginner dev question handpainted textures

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello there im an beginner dev im using blender atm. May i ask for lowpoly model? Im planning on using handpainted style for my first indie game. May i ask how do you make the eyes blink or move on the characters? Like in suikoden 3 or tales of symphonia  or wild arms 3 rpgs. May i ask do i draw directly on the model or do i have to create some type of topology? example below
example

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Those are most likely either animating materials swapping between two different eye textures, or you can physically rig a mesh to blink.

You can designate a certain section of t he face polygons to be the Eye Material and just make sure between the Face and Eye Material-ed polygons that they blend together regardless of which Eye texture you're swapping in on the Eye Material's texture "flipbook."
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    In the example given they're using different eye textures, one open and one closed, and swapping between them as needed. Like Brian said above, you can have an eye material assigned to just the necessary polygons and swap that (same with the mouth). Alternatively You can have eye textures with alphas (opacity) and blend them over the face material, swapping between the map you want blended. The exact methods for triggering the swaps will depend on the engine you use.
  • ciaroree
    @PolyHertz Thank you so so much for responding=) . Im using Blender for 3d and unity3d for game design. May i ask what you mean by bend over the face? Like i create an plane mesh and draw the eyes, or do i draw directly on the model?
  • ciaroree
    @Brian "Panda" Choi   Thank you so much for responding=) If i wanted to do handpainted method, can i draw on the model and physically rig then move to unity? Or do you think it would be better to draw on the polygons? Is it like creating a hole with knife tool and drawing over it? Im using blender as my 3d. May i ask would i do that to switch between open and closed or open mouth/closed mouth?
  • ciaroree
  • ciaroree
    A head i created=) I was going to make eyeballs, but found the handpainted texture i felt natural doing. So from this point would I fill in the hole and draw? My apologies not trying to bug anyone,just need help and wanting to learn. feels more midpoly than lowpoly @PolyHertz @Brian "Panda" Choi