Pinned
vegaart polycounter lvl 11
This is a modular environment created in Unreal Engine

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Seems like someone took a bunch of assets out of an asset storefront and cobbled this together. Has sci-fi type light beams on the bookcases, yet the light fixtures in the room and on the tables scream early century. The end of the rooms and archway don't match the architecture, and no way this got built without windows on the ends, skylights, or at the very least stairwells. This environment built from a concept or you kinda just frankenstein 'd a bunch of elements together?
  • vegaart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vegaart polycounter lvl 11
    Seems like someone took a bunch of assets out of an asset storefront and cobbled this together. Has sci-fi type light beams on the bookcases, yet the light fixtures in the room and on the tables scream early century. The end of the rooms and archway don't match the architecture, and no way this got built without windows on the ends, skylights, or at the very least stairwells. This environment built from a concept or you kinda just frankenstein 'd a bunch of elements together?
    Not someone took the assets from the asset store! I made all the assets myself and built the level from them
  • Jean_Pierre_Varg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean_Pierre_Varg polycounter lvl 3
    vegaart said:
    Not someone took the assets from the asset store! I made all the assets myself and built the level from them
    Hi! I might suggest some more useful feedback. I think that you have put a lot of effort on it and I can notice that!

1) I think that the egyptian bust is a bit out of place, I understand that you wanted to create a point of interest to which the viewer can focus, but it doesn´t transmit something clear. It´s just a curiosity, and although it looks good by itself I would suggest you to put something that makes a bit more sense to the story of the space that you are trying to create. Think of something that could fill that hole and match with the enviromnment, I don´t know, maybe changing the bust for a classical painting with baroque golden frame, or a fireplace with sofas like a small rest or chill area for people, or something along those lines.

2) something that could also help is the lighting, you could maybe reduce the intensity and add some pointlights on key areas of interest, this would help the viewer to focus on the interesting part of your environment or story. Contrast is key. I add an image to illustrate that:

Here you can clearly see how the eyes are driven towards the window, as it´'s the brightest part of the library.

3) I would finally suggest adding some more wear to the space, it doesn´t seem to be lived in. For example, add some fringerptints to the tables, as this would indicate that people has sat there and hold the books, etc.

DO the same to the floors, you added some roguhness variation to the following part "i don´t know how to call that in english sorry, it's not my main language" but the floor seem that never have been stepped by a human being. this makes it look artificial, unnatural, ilogic.

but overall it´s an amazing job! I would love to make something like this in the future, I'm just starting with environments ^^

Let me know your thoughts!
  • valentin_baguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
    Some cool things thagt I like about it. I like how you managed to get away with high amount of detail with those books without overwhelming the viewer since its just more or less repeating, however what really threw me off is that egyptian head, seems a bit random since the rest of the library doesnt have any designs from that culture, maybe I just suck at history but thats just an opinion of someone who doesnt know a whole lot about it haha, also I didnt notice those lights and how they throw everything even more until pixelpatron  mentioned it!