Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Spill the Blood

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Necrophob30 polycounter lvl 8
A little scene in Marmoset Toolbag 4. Concept is some sort of ritual gone wrong and the aftermath, with strange roots growing from the sundered altar overtaking everything, as the ritual blood seeps into the stone. 

This piece is a hodgepodge of new and old stuff I've done. Skulls and angel statue were photoscans I did a few years ago. Jugs are new photoscans, floor is an old Substance I did a few years back.

Candles and candelabra done in Blender. Altar and chalice are modeled in Blender, with some scupting on the altar in ZBrush. Roots are created with the Ivy Gen plugin in Blender.

Texturing done mostly in Substance Painter. Mossy wall mat and mosaic mat behind the statue are stock from Toolbag (which has some awesome mats).

Critiques are always welcome.

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    This has many pieces of an interesting scene, but I think more can be done with composition and lighting to really highlight the drama and exaggerate the story. Right now the way this is placed and composed doesn't really feel much like a point of interest.

I know this image below is pretty drastically different, but I think its a good example of just really hamming up the blood altar vibe rather than just a spilled cup of blood. The entire space is all focusing in on the altar, theres a raised platform for it, and the light shaft is helping to really highlight the importance of it.

The Taking

I find the subsurface scattering on the slab kinda strange.

• Necrophob30
    Offline / Send Message
    Necrophob30 polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for the critique, Lucas! I have a lot to learn about composition, and I think I need to really focus on figuring out the story of a scene before I start modeling. The image you provided helps.

Yes, the subsurface was probably a bit much. I wanted to try to give it an "activated" or hot look, but only succeeded in making it look waxy.