Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sculpts heads, newbie

Hello,
I'm new to forums of this type, but I thought someone could help me with criticism of my sculptures. These are not my first "heads", but it seems to me that there is something wrong with them. Im using book for anatomy and trying work with refernces but still :)
Any critiques or suggestions would mean a lot.

Before that, I was working on the anatomy of the body so I will paste it too.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    I would suggest using eyes with an iris texture to help get a feel for the size of the eye, because right now they are really big.
    Books are cool, but too me the best references are in 3d, I would recommend grabbing some 3d scans and try to replicate them and try to understand what all the volumes are while doing so. The split screen feature in zbrush is really good for this.
    you can find some free 3d scans here  https://3dheadscans.com/product-category/free-3d-scans/
    Or you can get some really good quality ones at 3dscanstore if you are willing to pay for them.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Good advice above. Daz 3D is a free to use program. Very handy to have on a monitor next to you while you sculpt.

You can change the anatomy of the model and load an un textured dev version to help with judging form.
  • eloo1243
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice! The use of well-made eyes allowed me to feel them better. The eyes are a bit deformed, I didn't notice the mask on, but it didn't bother me too much. :p I will paste the screen of my sculpt below. I think i made mistake, sculpting it without references, all from memory. I'll buy one of these scans and try to practice on them. That body looks really nice, will try too. :)
    I didn't know there was something like split screen in zbrush. Good to know. :)

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    If you are talking about the photo above your last post, I didn't sculpt that, its what I use for reference. The figure is included in the (free) software.
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Those aren't bad attempts; you've included landmarks that don't crop up very often in students' works. I get the sense though you're copying what you're seeing in books and references without having internalized them, hence the feeling something is always off.

The proportions chosen aren't standard, and while people aren't standard either it's better to stick to the most commonly taught ones—unless you're working closely from ref—when studying to avoid getting overwhelmed by the number of variables different proportions introduce. However, proportions aren't what stand out to me right now, it's the underlying structure. My advice is to look at skulls, then muscles and fat then your reference and try to work out how the muscles and fat relate to the bone structure in them. You're depicting mass but it's not quite tied to a skull, making it read more like a clay head with a spherical-ish solid core instead of a skull supporting it.

It also creates all sort of small problems like the eyes. Them being large don't bother me as much as being perfectly aligned to a plane. Think of eyes as something slightly wrapped around the skull. They aren't set on a plane, they follow the surface curvature instead. That makes the inner and outer corners exist on different depths:

Head CT Scan

Imho the reason 1 for unnerving sculpture eyes are eyes that have no rotation whatsoever. The irises should point slightly outwards, and that's not enough—the inner and outer corners must have at least a few millimeters of depth difference between them. When they don't the resulting eyes look off and even a bit too closely-set no matter how far they're apart.