Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] The Haunted House

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
RobertoBoccara polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys! 

I’m currently in the middle of what I consider to be a major portfolio piece that I am hoping will put me into the right path into the gaming industry. This being said, I wanted to share the work I have done so far and will more than likely be updating the thread as I go on. I would love to have feedback from all the talented artists out there, highlighting the things I can do, areas I can improve and whatnot.

So here we go! The first piece of The Haunted House project! 

Thank you all!

P.s. you can find a Sketchfab viewer at the ArtStation link here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ea5y1X

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Not at all talented but that hasnt stopped me before to give my 2 cents :)
    The wear is very uniform and procedural. Youre on the right track with the colors of the wood but the wear is omniprezent and doesnt look natural.
    The horizontal wood pattern is very strong and kinda too large for this object.
    The roughness is almost the same everywhere. Even old wood has some glossy spots here and there.
    The cabinet doors seem to have some normal/smoothing issues.
    Other props like the books are hardly visible so i cant comment on those.
    Keep it up
  • RobertoBoccara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertoBoccara polycounter lvl 3
    teodar23 said:
    Not at all talented but that hasnt stopped me before to give my 2 cents :)
    The wear is very uniform and procedural. Youre on the right track with the colors of the wood but the wear is omniprezent and doesnt look natural.
    The horizontal wood pattern is very strong and kinda too large for this object.
    The roughness is almost the same everywhere. Even old wood has some glossy spots here and there.
    The cabinet doors seem to have some normal/smoothing issues.
    Other props like the books are hardly visible so i cant comment on those.
    Keep it up
    Thank you for your response! Looking back I do see what you mean with the wear, especially in the areas such as the handles etc. I’ll definitely be going back over this, look around at some of my own cabinets and try to replicate areas of use. 

With the cabinet doors, I can see some shading issues for sure around the edges that I hadn’t noticed. 

I’ll do another render with the light hitting the objects more, this asset is going to be hidden at the back of the environment with a variety of different pieces of furniture, props etc in front so I didn’t put at much detail into it as I would with more, prominent objects. 

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated!