Home Technical Talk

Baking groom onto geometry problem

hero character
Offline / Send Message
thomasp hero character
This is probably a very noob question hence I put it off as long as I could! But here goes....

This is my setup for baking a groom (converted to geometry) onto a piece of geometry in Marmoset (tried in Blender with a cage as well - exact same results):

- groom is set up as the high poly
- head cutout/haircap is set as the low (all normals facing outward)
- green is the cage inside Marmoset

This gives me a garbled result with plenty of baking errors, like so - errors marked in red:

Is there any easy way to avoid these? Duplicating the lowpoly and adding it to the high poly slot solves the issue completely but then I am forced to mask out the hair strands by material ID or similar. I can also split up the groom into slices for left side/right side/front and so on and bake them separately. All certainly doable but ideally I am looking for a way to get clean bakes right away.

Replies

• Yerus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus polycounter lvl 4
    Man I think in oreder to bake something as precise as hair width you gonna have to have absolutelly no stretch in the UVs!
    Idk, perhapes unfold UVs in individual polys? It's quite risky..!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    That's not stretched UVs you're looking at: instead it's the projection catching the floating hair strands from the opposite side of the mesh. Solved .e.g by inserting a base under the highpoly. But shouldn't it be easily solvable by ray distance in one click or a min and max bake range? A setting I don't seem to find (anymore?) in the bakers I'm using.

For the record: baking this with a base under the groom results in:

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    The two methods you mentioned - splitting it into parts and adding the cap mesh to the target to block the rays - are the only things I've found to work when I did this a few years ago.

Might be worth asking about the ray distance on the marmoset subforum though. Maybe earthquake knows something and usually responds there.