Home Technical Talk

Human figure software recommendations

My primary hobby is scale model building (in the physical world) - https://www.flickr.com/photos/flintstonestargazer/albums/72157632658688479/page6. I also have a couple 3d printers with which I have generated parts like cockpits, engine details etc. which I have done in Tinkercad or, more recently, Fusion 360. I can do engineering types of 3d design at a level that works for me. I've recently gotten an Oculus Rift 2, however and have been using Adobe Medium to do sculpting using VR, which is amazing. I used a combination of Tinkercad and Medium to create a base for a Empire Strikes Back probe droid, which worked really well.

So I'm starting to think of moving somewhat beyond engineering-based 3d objects and in particular thinking about figures - pilots mostly, but potentially others. I'm not super interested in sculpting from primitives, however. What I'd really like to do is be able to use a program to take existing figures which are at least similar to what I want and put them in the position I want them in and then export them so I could do further editing in software like Medium. Back in the late 90's I used Poser for that type of thing. I'm wondering if there are better/cheaper options to do what I'm wanting to do here. I'd like something where I can drag the person around and put them in the pose I want and then export it as a geometry. Poser seems a bit pricey for what I want (and also seems to be pretty creepy these days...) and so I was wondering what options folks here would recommend?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Similar issues to Poser, but just sorta different... Daz3D might be a good fit, actually. The community and store is pretty huge so it's pretty likely you can tailor to what you want instead of being stuck in a particular style, but it heavily varies just because of how community-driven it is. But that also might be up your alley anyway since that's pretty much par for the course with this kind of hobby. =)  I think it ha some decent export options otherwise.
    https://www.daz3d.com/