Home Technical Talk

New 3D tool — Research

Hey guys, I'm developing this web-based app where you can start your work from a pre-made 3D model and export a high-res .PNG file. It's still a very limited prototype for testing.

I'm looking for feedback to help with future iterations of the app. There's a survey on the page for those who want to help me with the research.

Link to the app:
www.stagedgraphics.com/beta
pw: stgdbeta21

Thanks!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Some images or video of the app here may help advertising.  I personally don't feel immediately tempted to copy paste the URL into my browser.
  • bperotto
    Some images or video of the app here may help advertising.  I personally don't feel immediately tempted to copy paste the URL into my browser.
    Fair enough, thanks for pointing that out. I've included a screenshot of the app in the post.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Played around a little. It's a cool idea! I could see a more fleshed out version being popular among graphic designers, with a bigger library of objects and more features. We're not precisely the audience, but, my wife is a graphic design and she was really interested.

Is it possible to move objects around the scene at this point? Say, move one of the pairs of sunglasses?

Also it could be cool to have a few shading checkboxes, if it's not too intensive. Notably, flat shading, and ambient occlusion. I see a lot of those in current design trends.

With those additions, I think it would be a really powerful and useful tool to designers!
  • bperotto
    Joopson said:
    Played around a little. It's a cool idea! I could see a more fleshed out version being popular among graphic designers, with a bigger library of objects and more features. We're not precisely the audience, but, my wife is a graphic design and she was really interested.

Is it possible to move objects around the scene at this point? Say, move one of the pairs of sunglasses?

Also it could be cool to have a few shading checkboxes, if it's not too intensive. Notably, flat shading, and ambient occlusion. I see a lot of those in current design trends.

With those additions, I think it would be a really powerful and useful tool to designers!

That's great feedback. The prototype is still very limited, it's not yet possible to move, rotate or scale the assets, but it's definitely something we're looking to add in future iterations.

I'm glad to hear that your wife got interested in the app as well. I agree that it will be quite useful for designers with less experience in 3D.

Really appreciate you taking the time to try it out and provide some insights. Thanks a bunch!