Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ruined Lands

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ILYHugh polycounter lvl 6
For 2021 I wanted to start on some new Environment Artwork. With permission from Robby Johnson I am going to start creating a 3D Environment from his Concept:

Here is what I have so far!

I blocked out the large structure shapes as well as the Camera Layout and Lighting for now. Coming up soon is breaking out shapes and setting up Base Meshes I can take into ZBrush and detail out.

Replies

• ILYHugh
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some progress on the Ruins. I was able to sculpt out and size up a Base Pathwork for the Ruins, Next would be making a few Variants that are more damaged than others. I was also able to create the Large Ruined Wall Pieces. It so far is a bake down from a 

ZBrush Render:

Toolbag Render:

Next will come adding some features to the Material shader for some Vertex Paint and Position a Weight Paint function or a Position based mask for adding dust to the Asset to work in conjunction to a Dust/Dirt pile I'll create.
  • Jean_Pierre_Varg
    Really nice job man, one question, why did you sculp the pillars in zbrush instead of using a trim sheet or tileable? What do you consider to be the advantages of this workflow?
  • DEVgenesis
    this gives me some shadow of the colossus vibes and i love it! love the texture and just the general vibe of this ancient ruin

• ILYHugh
    Offline / Send Message
    @DEVgenesis Thank you so much, I felt the same way once I saw Robby Johnson's original concept! You should check out some more of his concept work it is amazing!

@Jean_Pierre_Varg Thank you, I had thought about doing a Tileable or Trim for the Large Ruined Pillars, but in the end I thought it would be better atleast to make it from ZBrush atleast; one to polish my Zbrush skills on such a big and detailed asset. And two, I really don't think I could make a very convincing Damaged state mixing with either of the two methods. Since this guy is more or less a hero asset, I wanted to give it that amount of love. Though I did rework it a bit, instead of one large asset, I've composed it into smaller buildable pieces that would give me better texel density overall and be flexible for other uses in the level. I do intend to create a Trim Sheet to be used for some of the Vista assets as well as the ones that don't require a damaged state.
  • Jean_Pierre_Varg
    ILYHugh said:
    @DEVgenesis Thank you so much, I felt the same way once I saw Robby Johnson's original concept! You should check out some more of his concept work it is amazing!

@Jean_Pierre_Varg Thank you, I had thought about doing a Tileable or Trim for the Large Ruined Pillars, but in the end I thought it would be better atleast to make it from ZBrush atleast; one to polish my Zbrush skills on such a big and detailed asset. And two, I really don't think I could make a very convincing Damaged state mixing with either of the two methods. Since this guy is more or less a hero asset, I wanted to give it that amount of love. Though I did rework it a bit, instead of one large asset, I've composed it into smaller buildable pieces that would give me better texel density overall and be flexible for other uses in the level. I do intend to create a Trim Sheet to be used for some of the Vista assets as well as the ones that don't require a damaged state.

This is actually a really interesting insight, I sometimes get stuck with how things are supposed to be worked on in a production, but really at the end of the day I think it is more what works for the purpose of the asset and scene.

It looks really promising, I'm just starting with environments and I would like to see how your worfklow for this project progresses.
  • cello8080
    Offline / Send Message
    cello8080 polycounter lvl 4
    excited to see this project progress :)
  • ILYHugh
    Offline / Send Message
    cello8080 said:
    excited to see this project progress :)
    Same to you! I can't wait to see more of your Desert Temple's progress it looks great so far!
  • processornine
    cool stuff. what was your method for adding the bricks to the blockout?
  • ILYHugh
    Offline / Send Message
    cool stuff. what was your method for adding the bricks to the blockout?
    All of the bricks are baked down from a High Poly mesh I sculpted, I hand placed everything, then baked it down. Though I am changing how I am handling the creation of the structures. I'll show more when I have some more progress.
  • Brandon_KyT
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon_KyT triangle
    Looks super cool, you should do a breakdown of how you did all the destruction for the pillars and stone!