Home Technical Talk

I want to wrap a net around the microphone.

taki39
node
Offline / Send Message
taki39 node
I used MAYA's bend.
I was able to wrap the net.

However, the net cannot be placed on the top part.

The joint is dirty.

Is there a way to wrap the net around the top?

Replies

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
    another possiblity i know is, if you own zbrush, welll..zbrush via "micromesh" :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M63T15gfoWM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4xbor6PujY
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I also can't answer for directly in max but you could bake that to a flat plane and then just apply it as a tiling texture. You'll get more non-destructive iterative power that way too.
  • taki39
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    taki39 node
    goekbenjamin

Thank you for your reply.

I used micro mesh.
    The flow of topology is a problem.
    I couldn't arrange the net neatly.

Alex_J
    Thank you for your advice.

I plan to print with a 3D printer.
    I really want to make a thick net.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You can still do it via the texture route. Make a displacement texture and convert the displacement to geometry. This way you still gain the flexibility texturing offers, and the final output can be the same.

If you want to see a visual example look up clothing tutorials in zbrush. Many times people will do a quick unwrap of the clothing geometry in order to apply a tiling displacement texture, then convert that to hi-res geometry. It's not a software specific workflow though. I think any 3d app can take displacement map and convert to geo.

Note, this isn't something I have done a lot so maybe it will bring it's own issues, but I think it's an idea worth trying. The displacement might require an additional alpha map or something to target the areas you want to cut out, and then add a shell modifier or w/e they call it in max to bring the thickness back.